Wanting to move to Shetland

jenesequa

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and contrary to the belief of cartographers Shetland is "NOT" in a box off the east coast of Aberdeen. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL, reminds me of the true story of the health worker who hired a taxi from the North of England to relocate to Lerwick - because he thought the ferry trip was 2 hours (it's 14 hours). The taxi driver got stuck in lerwick for 3 days due to bad weather cancelling the ferry. He was away from home for 5 days and the health board wouldn't pay his expenses for his extended stay :lol:

Well, Kazza(Karen) you're right it's not my dream but I'm afraid that's often just what it is with many of the most recent incomers. They see Shetland portrayed on the tv as some cobalt sea paradise when in reality it's a cold, weather-battered hole!.

Some adapt and some(many) don't and my heart sinks when I see the latest "moving to Shetland" thread on here because 9 times out of 10 it's people who are following a pipe dream.

I'm afraid Shetland does have a monopoly on drugs and the stuff is pouring in here. I've heard it said that you can get types of drugs here that you won't even get anywhere else in the UK. And whether you live in the town or country it will make no difference to your exposure to the alchohol culture.

It wouldn't surprise me if you've had a few pms telling you to ignore what I'm saying but that's because it's the truth and some on here want to sweep it under the carpet.

Yes, you'll get away from the rat race but many come to find that the reality of life in Shetland is just as hard, in it's own way, as living in the rat race.

Oh Kavi, du's at it again. You say you want to paint a fair picture of Shetland, but du runs the place into da ground!

Can I ask where du thinks would be a better place tae live. Shetland has it drawbacks like everywhere else but overall it is a great place tae bide. Its what you make it. Join in the local community and learn da lingo, get involved in stuff over the long winter nights and you will soon settle and learn tae pit up wie da wedder etc.

As for drugs, I have lived hear all my life and never seen or been offered a drug unless by da doctor. It might be rife amoungst da young eens, but I doot dats no different then everywhere else.

If du tinks dat little o da place, I winder whits keeping de here?

:D Getting more excited at the prospect of moving. Anyone wanna buy a house in Kendal :wink

As Drewyd (Andy) has said we are looking for a quiet life away from cities and to be totally honest less people the better. Our kids may after the first visit decide they don't want to come with us and that will be their choice just as it is our choice to move to Shetland.

As far as the elements go bring it on!! Andy has worked with both Mountain rescue and caving rescue and we have dealt with force 12 on a regular basis in Morecambe sailing etc :lol:

We are well used to expensive public transport £11 for 1 way 15 mile journey.

Our decisions haven't come overnight but the time is right for us and the fuzzbutts (ferrets) all of whom are nuetered/spayed, microchipped and vaccinated. :)

Thanks for all the advice and we will hopefully see you soon, meanwhile will probably continue to ask questions which have been asked before.

Kendal, eh?

I was walking with friends above Kendal about eight weeks ago (up on the ridge looking towards Windermere). You'll know all about rain and mist coming from round there and being involved with MR.

It was a hell of a culture shock just seeing how busy Kendal high street was..how does anyone cross that road on a regular basis without getting flattened every few weeks? :P

BTW, Kavi has a completely opposite view of Norway. If you'd said you were moving there, he'd be telling you how wonderful it all is (apart from the high suicide rate, alcoholism, huge cost of living..... :wink: :D )....

No, I'm not running the place into the ground - I'm simply trying to paint a truer picture of Shetland. I just can't stand this pc rubbish about how wonderful Shetland is when in reality it's a mixed bag.

I bide here because I was born and brought up here and have ties here. And for sure there are worse places to stay.

I would personally like to see wis build wir popultion from within(i.e keeping wir own young folk) rather than carping on about people coming to live here.

I hate the word "relocate" and a kid is still a baby goat.....

Good job I didn't say what I feel about Whalsay. What a grey, dour hole it is....oops I just did :shock:

Good job I didn't say what I feel about Whalsay. What a grey, dour hole it is....oops I just did :shock:

You seem hell bent on getting a reaction with statements like that on this topic or maybe you got you're description of Whalsay mixed up with yourself! :wink:

Shetland is a great place with great people who are friendly, helpful and hospitable and then there's some Shetlinkers! :wink:

Oh and contrary to the belief of cartographers Shetland is "NOT" in a box off the east coast of Aberdeen. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if you believe the channel 5 weather we don't even exist or maybe that was some cunning plan by Kavi ugl to stop people from relocating here with their kids...

OMGiddy aunt, I do know a KID is a baby goat, I was brought up with the term 'wean' for a child but over the years have adopted the much more understood term of KID, once again my choice :wink:

I wonder (Kavi) that you allow internet technology to be a form of communication in your abode (but as you are online duh!), as you have, you may but probably not (judging by comments) have utilised this medium to educate yourself to how life has moved on and we can live in more remote places and still be in touch with the 'real' world. To be honest I haven't had any intelligent responses from yourself regarding OUR choice, just a mish mash of negative uninformed comments (you have no idea who we are) We all must change with the time and allow the new to merge with the old and progress.

In what way have I suggested my/our decision to move to Shetland was 'PC' connected? My/Our decision not yours, my/our choice not yours live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I was born and bred in Scotland, I like many ambitous people left home to follow a career and now would like to come back home(ish) spend my money and enjoy my life.

To the residents of Whalsay, your island is beautiful and no narrowminded individual should be allowed to say otherwise. We hope to be your neighbours soon.

Andy and I would like to say thank you for all the emails of support we have had and all the positive comments :D

Guest posiedon
I would personally like to see wis build wir popultion [sic] from within(i.e keeping wir own young folk) rather than carping on about people coming to live here.

Says a lot about you and your attitude to "incomers" Incomers whom without in the past you would have no oil revenue now, nor would you have a gas plant for the future (without incomers coming to build it).
shetlandpeat

Pretty Cladded houses won't make the kids stay.

For once, we can agree :D

I just want a fair picture painted and 9 times out of ten that's not done!.

Yes, there are good aspects to life in Shetland but no amount of sports centres and swimming pools can take away from the fact that it is a hard place to live.

I would love to hear from folk who moved here thinking they were going to find their "island paradise" only to discover that it was the opposite and two/three years later left as quickly as they came.....

But unfortunately, most people desperate to move here won't listen and have to learn the hard way.

The official yearly statistics show that as many are leaving as coming and although there are probably various reasons for people leaving surely it must also tell us that for many Shetland was just not for them.

And I've known people who have come here grudgingly for work and ended up staying far longer than the intended because they liked it so much.

Native Shetlanders leave here as well, not just incomers.