peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

There's a public car park next to the ferry terminal, been in it once during the day but not sure I'd leave a car there for a few days. Bit dark and not much passing traffic.

There is good secure long term parking just up from the airport - not the expensive short term car park opposite the terminal building.

If you leave the car at the airport, allow yourselves plenty time to get to the docks as rush hour traffic through Aberdeen is a nightmare. Taxi is probably about £20 nowadays I'd guess.

Shhhh.....no-one mention the 36 hour trip that ended up in Leith :wink:

Did the 36-hour one not finish up in Invergordon? There was a 24-hour marathon in October 02 when a small group of us were standing round a grave in Edinburgh burying the last of the old aunts and the cousin who was supposed to give the eulogy was still somewhere in the North Sea on his way back from the fiddle festival. They finally put in to Rosyth at 6pm (instead of 8am in Aberdeen, Sha), then they put them on buses and trailed them back to Aberdeen where he retrieved his car from that multi beside the terminal, then he drove back to Edinburgh arriving in the wee small hours. He was not happy.

^ Sha - suppose bad weather cancels your flight south and they put you on the boat anyway, you might be quite glad to have your car there on the quayside? Not wishing to add to the general gloom - but these things do happen in Scotland in winter. Last February - nothing to do with Shetland - I was trying to get a bunch of people from Edinburgh to Athens. I had allowed a 4½-hour turn-round at Heathrow - and the weather dictated that we still missed the Athens flight. :)

On the Sunniva I seem to remember the kennels were on the open top deck bit near the stern.

That is the one....

I remember me mam telling me not to look through the window as the animals would be stressed enough...

The crossing will be an experience, whatever the weather..

If you do feel a bit odd, and it ain't raining cats and dogs (a old viking term I believe) I have found solice on the upper open deck, but they make that off limits in bad weather so the smoking deck is best.

It seems not to move so much towards the rear...the front bar has got to be in the worst place.

Have a good tea or dinner (depends where your from)

^ Sha - suppose bad weather cancels your flight south and they put you on the boat anyway, you might be quite glad to have your car there on the quayside? Not wishing to add to the general gloom - but these things do happen in Scotland in winter. Last February - nothing to do with Shetland - I was trying to get a bunch of people from Edinburgh to Athens. I had allowed a 4½-hour turn-round at Heathrow - and the weather dictated that we still missed the Athens flight. :)

I really really hope that is not going to happen! :?

Two of the girls are flying into Manchester to come with us and their flights are leaving sunday afternoon, if we have to take the saturday ferry we'll never make it on time.

How likely are we to know on frifay whether the flight will go or not? If we know in advance we can take the friday ferry.

But I remember when we went up to the isle of Arran last February. The drive from here to Ardrossan usually takes about 5hrs, it took us about 8hrs because of the snow. Luckily we didn't depend on one particular ferry and left really early in the morning.

Sumburgh Airport is well known for its fog. Sometimes it lasts all day, other times it clears as quickly as it arrives. So even if you were to be an ardent follower of the weather forecast, you wouldn't know.

I've known of flights leave Aberdeen and had to turn back because they couldn't land due to the fog (and I've only been here since June!).

Fog in January is quite unlikely. You will find that a sudden flurry of snow or hurricane force winds are more likely to be the cause for cancellation of a flight at that time of year.

If it is wind-related then the ferry will probably be cancelled as well. Luckily the snow doesn't seem to affect the ferry too much (apart from actually trying to get to it!).

Fog in January is quite unlikely. You will find that a sudden flurry of snow or hurricane force winds are more likely to be the cause for cancellation of a flight at that time of year.

Right enough you don't often get fog in January, still the high winds make for an interesting landing. It's all good fun.