Boycott Tesco!

Mattie

just a daft quetion if they have loads of work fare people doing the job s in that list of places won't that then discourage the companies from employing real workers at the normal wage.

when they did yts and community program in the early 80's it was honest you knew you were going to get some work for a year for a reasonable amount i think i was on 60 quid in 1984. we were happy doing the jobs that we given ours was landscaping a grave yard. others were improving gardens and fences. an extremly low drop out rate and we got fit.

why can't they just do the same again. there are lots of jobs that need doing that don't turn people into free labour.

would tesco really want to take on some folks that are on the dole. being forced to o stuff never worked in the past.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a daft quetion if they have loads of work fare people doing the job s in that list of places won't that then discourage the companies from employing real workers at the normal wage.

when they did yts and community program in the early 80's it was honest you knew you were going to get some work for a year for a reasonable amount i think i was on 60 quid in 1984. we were happy doing the jobs that we given ours was landscaping a grave yard. others were improving gardens and fences. an extremly low drop out rate and we got fit.

why can't they just do the same again. there are lots of jobs that need doing that don't turn people into free labour.

would tesco really want to take on some folks that are on the dole. being forced to o stuff never worked in the past.

Employers aren't forced to take on just any clown on the sayso of the dole office. They'll take on those who are capable of doing the job and no-one else.

The opposite side of the coin to the criticism on here is that it gives the long-term unemployed a chance to prove that they are a decent spud and not some feckless dole-wallah who cannot get a job for a good reasons. Employers are pretty loth to take on the long-term unemployed, they're always viewed with a certain amount of suspicion.

However, that does not mean that those who are incapable of working should be forced into situations they cannot handle. That is abhorrent, but I'd be more interested in finding out about exactly what is involved with these schemes rather than pouncing on media hype and politically skewed rhetoric and declaring it knee-jerkingly good Gospel......

If you read the Welfare Bill you will note that folk will be put into a scheme, if they are on any incapacity benefit to receive additional training to get them back to work, they will have the same obligations as someone on JSA, where as they have to do this. This includes sending them to the likes of Superdrug for placements.

It will be hyped up to some degree, because it is unfair.

Basically if you are sick or disabled and an assessment has found that you may be capable of some work at some point in the future, with the right support, you can now be forced to take part in the Government's "Workfare" scheme, working for free to make more profit for Tesco and Asda and Poundland! Yay! With Lupus or Schizophrenia or Leukaemia or waiting for a kidney transplant or.... well anything really. You're probably exempt with less than 6 months to live, but only if you can be sure it's not a day over 6 months.

On top of this, although unemployed healthy people can be forced to take part for 8 weeks only; lazy, feckless cancer, MS and Parkinson's patients can be forced to work forever. For free.

http://diaryofabenefitscrounger.blogspot.com/2012/02/eternal-slavery-for-sick-and-disabled.html

Sue Marsh has been working on this for some time, her blog and others are real life stories, not media hype as we know it. It is not the unemployed and able who will suffer, but the folks who are assessed by a tick box system by Atos and it is Atos who then make that choice for them.

The last time I checked it had already cost an extra £80,000,000 to go through the appeals, which shows that there is something wrong.

Guest posiedon

^ Your link is behind a pay wall, you'll need to copy paste the article if I'm to read it.

Oh and it's Tesco not Tescos, and their heads high not there, or did you miss out a comma?

I do not agree with them working for tescos in that capacity, surely the government can have some big projects they can work on for the state (as the state pays them) like road building or cleaning the streets?

You would think the Big Society would revel in such free labour, there are many things that need to be kept up, road building is a bit of a skill, and you need to be of a certain age, they can opt out within a week, then they have to doe the 8 weeks, the main issue is forcing folk who are currently unable to work, on to the scheme because there is a possibility they may be trained to doe something. No trolling, perhaps reading the reports I posted and following them up.

Tesco leading the way in paying the kids on the scheme. Looks like those of us who actually like Tescos can carry on shopping there heads held high, and the rest of you trolls will have to find something new to latch onto :D

There are many other issues that folk have with Tesco. It is their choice to air them.

On your point, we cannot see, how much do they pay adults on the scheme? Are they still getting the other benefits or are they paid enough to take them out of the system? One more point, if you are on any benefit that is means tested, any payment would be deducted from their benefits.

For crying out loud SP ... hang on ....

ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The problems facing those peeps disabled, as I believe I have already pointed out, is that when they are re-assessed they MUST ensure that everything is on the form, including the information from the GP. They cannot assume that the Medical Examiner appointed will look at anything else, including long term medical conditions that were previously taken into consideration. Yes, a lot are going to Appeals but they are WINNING. In essence, the majority of folk are not being forced to work. Now whilst you may be qualified to drive X machine, lay roads, place cones, etc., moi spends many an hour typing up Attendance Notes and documentation for Solicitors dealing with benefit claims (And Local Authorities are the biggest cause of distress when they mess up Housing Benefit claims).

There are areas of the UK where there aren't any jobs but there are other areas where there are jobs going and not necessarily requiring lots of skills. Yes, many are part-time positions or contract/temp but in case you hadn't noticed, Job Seekers Allowance is just that and wasn't it your lovely Labour party that changed it to be so? In some countries you don't get benefits. We have the problem that some people (and definitely not all) seem to think it is okay not to work. Is it that we, as a society, expect more than our parents/grandparents/great grandparents did?

I was unemployed when I left school. I took a job paying something crazy like £10 more a week than the dole and saved up to do a word processing course. My fares to work were £4 a week. But hey, within 4 months I was earning three times the amount and temping at Chase Manhattan Bank.

So come on all those knocking the scheme, what would you do with the long term unemployed? Apprentice schemes don't pay a lot more either. I've yet to come across a Government scheme that really does pay loads but at the end of the day, if people are claiming Job Seekers Allowance and there are jobs going at the other end of the country and they have no childcare responsibilities then do what the generations before us did - go where the work is.

^ Your link is behind a pay wall, you'll need to copy paste the article if I'm to read it.

I was going to but this is what the FT says!

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dbb168d2-5c8e-11e1-8f1f-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz1n3fAS61j

I signed up with the FT a while ago and I get (I think) 10 free views per month

The Telegraph also has the story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9096927/Tesco-offers-to-start-paying-young-people-on-Government-work-experience-scheme-as-row-grows-over-unpaid-placements.html

You can tell these folks that.

http://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php/522-have-been-put-into-ESA-WRAG-INSTEAD-OF-SUPPORT-GROUP-ADVICE-PLEASE

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?func=view&catid=10&id=41667

http://snowdropkcs.co.uk/payroll_software_news_detail.aspx?aid=2835

http://www.latentexistence.me.uk/government-taps-sick-and-disabled-people-as-source-of-free-labour/

http://www.latentexistence.me.uk/government-ministers-getting-defensive/

You type for solicitors and you know better than anyone? You use that line a number of times. You do not type for all now do you?

Arguing for the sake of it, it seems.

Not interested in your leaving school problems, the problems are around now.

Have you read any of the Welfare stuff being proposed, the thousands of folk who are worried that they may not be there to care for their loved ones? Sent on these schemes and their loved ones not HD so not entitled to a carer.

It is very real, coming to someone you know shortly, no doubt.

Why should folk have to go through the appeals, and the stress that go with it? Tell us. Why?

I have no idea why you think folk should be treated like this, especially the more vulnerable.

Perhaps you may want to hang on to all you got, it don't sound good if you are unable.

We are not talking about the long term unemployed, I am talking about the long term sick, the disabled, the infirm, the terminally ill, the carers and the young that need some care but not full time.

Oh, these migrating folk, where do they find the money to move and pay deposits and rent, on a little over £100 a week in an apprenticeship scheme, or £147 as a 16 year old, off to another part of the country to clean floors at night to satisfy an ideal? Get real, why would you consider removing these folks from their families, perhaps if you do, it will play on their mental health, they go sick or string them selves up or get caught dodging fares to get home to see their families.

You actually think that there are 2,670,000 jobs out there?

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/index.html

^ So why, SP, did you mention earlier on in this thread that the sick and disabled are being forced onto schemes such as this one? IMO, you are scaremongering. I'll stick with typing for solicitors, you stick to your roadworks and so forth - I know which source of information is the reliable one.

Work experience scheme Tesco is it not?

Edit: I've known peeps to take jobs at the like of Butlins or pick spuds when they are qualified to do other more skilled jobs rather than sign on - they've tended to live in accommodation provided on-site.

I've met many peeps from abroad when living in London who thought nothing of leaving their home country in order to provide for their families. Ideal? Certainly not.

But tell me SP, how would you sort out the unemployment problem?

Here we go again. Why do some folk have to take things to extremes, then walk into their glasshouses before starting to lob their stones? BTW that's a rhetorical question, SP. Besides, I'd either be calling Yoda to ask him to translate your reply, or fall asleep halfway through reading it.

You slag others off for speaking for others, then you talk about the "thousands" out there, living in fear. You twist and turn other's arguments to suit yourself and your own intransigent opinion.

And as for scaremongering, trying to make out that every single terminally ill individual will be forced out of their death beds to spend their final days slaving for (in your mind) the eeeevil empire that is Tesco, is, quite honestly, disgusting. Are you any kind of politician, yourself, perchance? No matter what the level? Your smug "Better I know than you children all" (you might stand a better chance understanding your native tongue, maybe?) condescending and sneering attitude with anyone who has the unmitigated gall to DARE to disagree with your often illogical, always pedantic, tosh, reeks of the politico and beggars belief.

**Moderators, nothing personal there. It's simply an objective analysis of (comprehensible) posts previously submitted by SP over a period of time and covering a wide range of topics.**

What I think EVERYONE here is trying to say is that a catch-all policy can be bad, and can lead to some injustices. However, I think you will (hopefully) find that, in most instances, this is due to - as Posie points out - miscommunication or lack of information. I have, personally, found that it can arise from poor training or lack of understanding by staff carrying out the job. It was very annoying and, yes, concerning, but by sitting down and FINDING OUT what was required (CAB are always good for this) it was quickly and quite easily sorted out. It shouldn't happen, you cry (or at least one person, no doubt will). But then, hey! We are all human - other than you, It seems, "Yoda". :roll:

You should also find that - as in my own case - bringing such problems to the attention of the agency concerned, and evidencing your stance, usually leads to a resumption of normal service in pretty quick time. They don't exist to torment those terminally ill and on palliative care, as your horrible scribbling suggests.

(BTW, Tesco is slated and boycott called for, for being in this scheme. But what of the several prominent charities on the list shown? Hmmmm? Demos outside Marie Curie? I would certainly hope not!!)

The fact is that there ARE too many people knackering what should be a decent workable system through their belief that they are entitled never to work. Before you ask, I'm not going to discuss my background, but I have personally met literally thousands of such people - yes, thousands - in my lifetime. Folk milking and stealing from the benefits system, who have or should have no entitlement. Folk who twist an ankle or get a bump and "whiplash" (ask any doctor - the insurance scammers' friend, almost impossible to disprove) and then spend the rest of their lives getting benefits and Motability, etc, having a partner paid Carers Allowance so they don't have to work either.

Sorry, SP, but that exists. For every few dozen (I hope it's that high, it may be lower!) folk who are genuinely sick or disabled and unable to work, there are several cruising on a free pass.

THAT is one of the reasons, at least, why the system is no failing and in need of overhaul and reset. There have been generations raised in this country who have never worked, through choice, who have, in turn, raised generations who have never worked and never will, if they retain that choice.

But there will ALWAYS be those jobsworths that try and score points by clearing more than anyone else and screw innocent, genuine folks' lives up in the process (temporarily, I would hope). Know anyone like that, Yoda? I think we all know of a few. That's life, unfortunately. It's not perfect. Nowhere does it say it is. You know what they say, "The people you meet, when you can't carry a gun!!"

But, seriously, the way I look at it is, there's ALWAYS someone worse off than you (and me) so quit your whingeing, and deal with it. And if you're unable to, through sickness, indolence or terminal stupidity, ask Yoda, self-appointed "Man of the People" to sort it out for you. Just as soon as he's sorted out those roadworks, put Tesco out of business and told everyone else how to live their lives and do their jobs.

Taxi for Don Quixote, eh Peat? :roll:

Wow, that did not sound personal or sanctimonious at all.

The GOV are hitting those with difficulties because their own stats (I know you don't believe in stats or have a mistrust of them) say that 0.5% of claims are proved to be fraudulent, if you care to look through ISBN:978-1-84947-534-1 you may find this out.

So, upon your mistrust on the Stats, we cannot proceed, can we? What ever figure I put up you will dispute as untrustworthy or manipulated.

I do no more than what you are doing now with my posts, trying, in my own way to explain. I find the constant ridicule of the way folks write and their being judged purely on their grammar and ability to write. Especially if the sometime bully has no realisation of the difficulty folk have just to be able to write in some cases.

The fact is, there are thousand of folk who are worried about this, because they have already been informed that this is a possibility for them. I have been following this for quite some time now, I have been in contact with the folk who have brought this to light and are still campaigning to have it stopped. If it were fair, why has it been opposed at every stage?

I suggest you get reading

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-12/welfarereform/documents.html

http://diaryofabenefitscrounger.blogspot.com/

All your points are about me really and detract from the point being made. Which has been typical of some of your posts when you feel folk should be corrected, you have a habit of belittling folk, on your complaints of others doing the same. No offer of why I may be wrong, in your eyes with what is contained in the above Bill and the amendments.