Views on recently watched films

Mia

There were some scenes that you did have to suspend disbelief, the sniping scene was unlikely because the Iraqi was shooting them with a 7.62mm dragonov at a mile and hitting them with kill shots nearly every time. It's true your average bomb technician wouldn't be trained in sniping but both James and Sanborn were in the Airborne Rangers before they joined bombed disposal so they would have been trained in marksmanship while in that regiment. I also didn't think all those British guys were SAS as they were trying to collect bounty on the two guys they'd caught, Ralph Fiennes's character was likely supposed to be SAS at one time but a mercenary when you see him in the film and the way the other two behaved when fired upon in such an open area would make me think they'd never been near Hereford.

I get why you got to the end and felt a bit miffed, I felt the film just petered out but I thought it worked in showing the level of lunacy required to do that job and Jeremy Renner played James spot on I thought.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

I don't get why Avatar has been given so much praise. Well realised and imaginative alien rainforest world, and largly non-obtrusive 3D effects -but, goodness me, it dragged. Could have 30% off the running time, and as others have said, unoriginal plot. I was never bothered about what happened to the characters.

However, District 9 was gripping and affecting. Wikus van der Merwe is a role model for redemption. If you haven't seen it, get the DVD.

There were some scenes that you did have to suspend disbelief, the sniping scene was unlikely because the Iraqi was shooting them with a 7.62mm dragonov at a mile and hitting them with kill shots nearly every time. It's true your average bomb technician wouldn't be trained in sniping but both James and Sanborn were in the Airborne Rangers before they joined bombed disposal so they would have been trained in marksmanship while in that regiment. I also didn't think all those British guys were SAS as they were trying to collect bounty on the two guys they'd caught, Ralph Fiennes's character was likely supposed to be SAS at one time but a mercenary when you see him in the film and the way the other two behaved when fired upon in such an open area would make me think they'd never been near Hereford.

I get why you got to the end and felt a bit miffed, I felt the film just petered out but I thought it worked in showing the level of lunacy required to do that job and Jeremy Renner played James spot on I thought.

I was not amused that yet again they tried to make out the americans saved our ass. Why did they not call for an air strike? fair enough it would have probally hit the last brittish guy, plus what was he doing while they spent hours trying to shoot?

• 2 weeks later...

I was not amused that yet again they tried to make out the americans saved our ass. Why did they not call for an air strike? fair enough it would have probally hit the last brittish guy, plus what was he doing while they spent hours trying to shoot?

IIRC he was keeping his head down in the ditch behind the Americans as they were taking pot shots at the Iraqi's.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just been watching the first episode of the sinking of the Laconia. There is a Shetland connection here as the captain, Rudolph Sharp, was the son of a Shetland man.

http://bayanne.info/Shetland/getperson.php?personID=I9952&tree=bayanne_1

I must admit the scene with him on the bridge as the ship disappeared under waves got to me a bit, as my grandfather, also a ship's captain, went down with his ship a few months later after being torpedoed.

You can catch the programme here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x9cjj

Just been watching the first episode of the sinking of the Laconia. There is a Shetland connection here as the captain, Rudolph Sharp, was the son of a Shetland man.

http://bayanne.info/Shetland/getperson.php?personID=I9952&tree=bayanne_1

I must admit the scene with him on the bridge as the ship disappeared under waves got to me a bit, as my grandfather, also a ship's captain, went down with his ship a few months later after being torpedoed.

You can catch the programme here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x9cjj

With you on that one MuckleJoannie

Although My Grandfather. Also a ships captain.

Survived two torpedoes and a bombing

The DVD of the sinking of the Laconia. Is out on the 28th of February

• 1 year later...

I watched Prometheus last night.

I've been deliberately avoiding any of the media build-up to it as I prefer to go into things like this totally unspoiled if at all possible, so the only prior knowledge of the film I had was that it was a bit disappointing.

What a steaming pile of unadulterated pish! Seriously, this movie was terrible. It makes Armageddon and Independence Day look good. It was beautifully shot, with flawless CGI, but the script and story were pants. It was so bad, it actually made me angry. If you haven't seen it, don't waste your money. The worst movie I've watched since the Star Trek re-boot. Avoid.

2/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...