Views on recently watched films

Mia

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I can't say too much or that will give away the story more or less but what I will say is................

Disappointed very disappointed, story just didn't work, far too much CGI for a film franchise renowned for its stunts. Ray Winstone was criminally underused and lumped with a character so obvious in his motives you were almost screaming at the screen.

There is word they're going to make another one, I really hope they don't.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just watched Threads again.

The first time I saw this was the one and only time it was shown on telly back in 1984. I was 14 at the time and it left a lasting impression. I was interested to see if it actually was as powerful as it seemed back then.

Dear God, this is a brutal movie. It hasn't lost a bit of it's power in the intervening years. It is truly gut-wrenching. Not a pleasant experience. If you haven't seen it then I recommend you do. But don't expect to enjoy it. That is not its purpose. It exists to demonstrate the complete and utter folly of nuclear war. A true classic.

(I just checked out its listing on Amazon. 109 reviews, 94 of them five stars)

Went to watch The Incredible Hulk at the Garrison tonight, really enjoyed it, but not as much as Ang Lee's HULK. Better storyline, better acting, better effects, better cameos, but just didnt have the "feel" of the other film.

Have to mention the product placement - hideous. I really did think it was going to break down into a full blown advert at times! Apparently the secrets of the US military are in the safe hands of Norton 360. God help us!

Also eventually caught up and watched Hellboy recently. Very very good, looking forward to the next instalment soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night, I watched Atonement. A wonderful, beautiful and moving film extremely well-made. It is quite difficult for a film tomake me cry, but Atonement achieved it spectacularly! :lol:

Also, On saturday watched "Shoot 'Em Up". This film won't be for everyone but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great fun, lots of action and it didn't pansy about.

Last night, I watched Atonement. A wonderful, beautiful and moving film extremely well-made. It is quite difficult for a film tomake me cry, but Atonement achieved it spectacularly! :lol:

Hmm, didn't do it for me at all. From a cinematographic perspective it was bloody marvellous. Fantastic use of colour and light. Superb production design and some astonishing location photography. The performances weren't bad with James MacEvoy standing out, but the story was in my opinion not very well executed, mostly because it isn't a great story. The film maker did a great job though and managed to almost make a convincing silk purse out of a sow's ear. Not my cup of tea, but I didn't feel that I'd wasted my time watching it unlike some 'costume dramas'.

Also, On saturday watched "Shoot 'Em Up". This film won't be for everyone but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great fun, lots of action and it didn't pansy about.

Now there's a movie with a storyline shot between the eyes in the first ten minutes! Not that it matters because I quite agree with you. A very enjoyable film replete with violence and mayhem.

Step Brothers

Does exactly what you expect from a Will Ferrell film. Personally speaking found John C Reilly funnier in both this and Talledega Nights but as a team they are very very funny. I thought the whole man child thing would wear thin but the sleep walking and playground scenes still make me laugh.

Any film that requires a stunt scrotum has to get two thumbs up.

Even the better half was laughing

I really enjoyed Hellboy 2, thought it much better than the first, but then i like straight up action films to be devoid of senseless "twists" for the sake of it, so maybe that helped.

Also recently watched Get Smart, which is highly reccomnded. The roll Steve Carell was born to play (ok, i say the same about him as Michael Scott, but the two aren't so far apart)

Basically this is just an excuse for an action and gadget packed secret agent movie and it works brilliantly. Exactly what Bond movies are supposed to be like. :)