Views on recently watched films

Mia

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Agreed, excellent film. Wasn't so impressed with the Incredible Hulk though, genuinely expected them to break into a fully fledged monty-python style musical number at times when they were doing the "product placement" - as in a few scenes didnt seem to have any purpose other than to promote something.

I did enjoy the Ferigno and Bixby cameo's though, its a shame they didnt slip Ric Drasin in too for the real geeks among us :)

Recently watched Michael Moore's freebie, Slacker Uprising, and whilst being predictable and very much in his usual style, it managed to come off as a real "feel-good" film. Worth it for Moore's retort to the Bush supporters reciting the rosary alone!

However my current reccomendation would have to be Midnight Meat Train - excellent old fashioned gorefest of a horror, with some decent acting and, being based on a Clive Barker short story, a nice menacing storyline thrown in.

30 days of night

Great concept but they made 30 days seem like 4 and after a while the Vampires and their weird language starts to grate a bit.

*spoiler*

One total plot hole is the weird punter who comes before the vampires destroys all the mobile phones and kills the sled dogs but wouldn't someone come and investigate why nobody was answering phones before 30 days was up?.

Still was miles scarier than most of the vampire films been coming out these last few years.

Wasn't the point that once 'night' transport in or out of Barrow stopped happening?

Wish I'd seen this before I read the comic book, because inevitably you end up making comparisons, and waiting for this or that scene to happen. It was refreshing to see a film that got away from the romantic goth angst in vogue for the last decade, in favour of serious, nasty b*st*rd vampires. If you go back to the folklore, vampires weren't beautiful pining souls in velvet shirts, they were ambulant corpses that wanted to f*ck and eat everyone they met. Job done!

On the other hand, folkloric vampires couldn't care less about sunlight...

I think we all have to accept that The Bourne Series has totally killed off any allure that James Bond ever had. That is how to do a "secret agent" (ok, Bourne isn't exactly a secret agent but you get my drift...) film.

I watched "30 Days of Night" the other day. Very enjoyable I must say. Does get a little bit disjointed for a few minutes about half way through...I actually thought the film had skipped a whole section. The ending was a little bit annoying but all in all a good vampire film.

^ I'm intrigued by the name; it's either very clever, or enormously pretentious. I know which possibility my money is on... :?

It's called so because aparently Bond, after losing the love of his life, in a rave of looking for revenge is also searching for his Quantum of Solace.

Watched Wanted last night as well, very good. Not perfect but very, very good. 4 out of 5 stars.

• 5 weeks later...

We watched the Belgian film BenX last night.

Plot: "As an alternative to getting bullied at school, an autistic teenager retreats into the world of online role-playing games."

Loved it - although the "teenage" actors are definitely not teenagers - a minor annoyance you soon forget about. We both were left speachless and thanking goodness we were not still in school.

Movie Trailer

Watched all of "Se7en" for the first time last night. Good film, good acting (very good in terms of Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey), interesting plot. The ending wasn't all that I thought it would be with the John Doe character essentially winning, which left me a bit deflated at the end. Overall 4 out of 5.