Views on recently watched films

Mia

I was at the first showing - Casablanca. It was great to see it on the big screen and the few folk I spoke to or heard at the end all seemed to enjoy it and thought it stood the test of time and was still a good film 60 years on. You were given a raffle ticket on entry and it was drawn at the end, the winner getting a DVD of the film. The seats are still as uncomfortable as ever though.. :wink:

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Golden Compass:

What a hotch-potch of a movie. Some of the CGI is excellent, some of it is rubbish, some of the action is very much for bairns, some of it is pretty coorse, some of the script is interesting, some of it naff...... ahh, who am i trying to kid, it was crap and i'm not glad i saw it.

I would also say i have seen enough CGI talking animals to last me a decade after that, they're not cute or amazing, they're just annoying. I think the book would be more worthwhile for people who like that sort of story, though i'll not be reading it. Thumbs down.

I only agreed to go because Focus magazine ran an interesting feature on the science behind the storyline. Well, guess what, none of it really features in the movie.

I was at the first showing - Casablanca. It was great to see it on the big screen and the few folk I spoke to or heard at the end all seemed to enjoy it and thought it stood the test of time and was still a good film 60 years on. You were given a raffle ticket on entry and it was drawn at the end, the winner getting a DVD of the film. The seats are still as uncomfortable as ever though.. :wink:

I went myself. It was the first time I'd seen Casablanca on a big screen and I enjoyed every minute despite the fact that my butt was dead after half an hour! There were so many things I hadn't noticed when watching the movie on the TV. It really is one of the all time classics. Did you enjoy Philip Taylor on the piano? I thought it was a nice touch.

I'm very much looking forward to Dr Zhivago although I will be bringing a cushion and maybe a flask of coffee and a snack. I don't know where they're going to get a Baliliaka player from though....

^^ Know what you mean about the 'dead butt' :lol: although with me it was more 'achey back' which meant wriggling a bit.. Forgot to mention the pianist, sorry. Yes, a very nice touch, added to the ambience, thoroughly enjoyed it. We floated out on a nostalgic black & white cloud and wafted to the Lounge. Didn't realise it was music night and when the pianist sat down and played we were sorely tempted to lean across and whisper, "Play it again, Sam"..

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Cloverfield last night and think it lived up to the hype well.

Few discrepancies here and there but through suspending disbelief, which you have to do anyhow due to the content of movie, found it very compelling viewing. Suspense and always an underlying unknown quantity to the movie throughout left you wanting more and at the end hoping for a sequel.

Down point was the film would have been even better if they'd just ended it at the first point rather as extending it the extra five minutes. Think it would've been more intense if they'd done it that way. That'll make sense to those of you watching it - don't want to give the game away, see! ;)

Cloverfield was just brilliant, honestly can't recommend it highly enough. That said, I always thought the whole "motion-sickness-owing-to-handheld-camera" (that so plagued the Blair Witch Project) was a load of rubbish, but two friends of mine said Cloverfield almost made them throw up in the cinema - One had to look away from the screen for most of the film. They were both hungover though.....

I was also lucky enough to see a preview screening of Juno this past weekend, which was excellent too.

^^^^^^^^^^

Cloverfield has been lauded for its use of lighting and cinematography in keeping the camcorder feel but still filling the screen with usable imagery. Some of it was quite subtle for a classic style Godzilla type movie. I'm looking forward to this on a big screen.

^^^ I definitely am.

I'm hoping Resevior Dogs will be along sometime soon too.

Saw John Rambo yesterday and i highly reccomended. Exactly what it should be, simple but powerful action with an old character doing what he does best. Sure, there are some cliche's in there but the underlying story is powerful.

You may not have to think much during it, but i defy you not to think back to some of the visuals and that they are a reality for many.

Casablanca - excellent - can't believe I have never seen the whole film before.

Golden Compass - not a patch on the book - but wasn't expecting it to be. Ok for what it was.

Pulp Fiction - Woo hoo!! - fantastic, never seen it on the big screen before. Forgot how good it was, even though I have seen it many times at home.

Tried to spot fellow Shetlinkers - couldn't guess who you were.

I want to see Blade Runner on Film Wednesdays!

I want to see Blade Runner on Film Wednesdays!

I'm glad you're enjoying the Film Wednesdays. If you've got suggestions please pass them onto Shetland Arts - info@shetlandarts.org

Don't be worried about proposing a film that someone else has already mentioned, all that means is that it is a popular idea and should be seriously considered. Personally I'd like to see the "final cut" of Blade Runner on a big screen. I've asked for the Rocky Horror Picture Show, Full Metal jacket, Dark Star, Apocalypse Now and a few others.

Anyone up for the Outlaw Josie Wales next week? I think that "Ringu" is the week after - one of the best horror movies I've seen and way way better than the poor Western remake imitations.

Cheers,

T

The final cut of Blade Runner? Is that the one that gives the game away? No thank you! Was it the directors cut that was a good one?

And my main feedback would be - any night except wednesday! I've already missed a couple of classics due to another wednesday commitment! :cry: