Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

^ Quite amazing that they can say communities will get dosh before they even know how much profit they'll be making, if any.

Why are they going to the Charitable Trust to ask for more dosh? I was under the impression that VE are a company - don't companies usually borrow from banks? Why should the Trust cough up another £6 million?

The payment to the community fund is based on the installed output so I presume it will be paid out regardless of profit ie it is part of the operating costs.

According to the Charitable Trust banks are lining up to lend Viking money. Presumably they will put the money up if construction starts.

I'm surprised you make such an assumption to be honest. Assumptions are not certainties. I'd want a certainty.

What if SSE went bankrupt or ceased trading? What if the SSE made a loss elsewhere in their plethora of companies and could no longer put so much money into VE? What would happen then? Ah yes, and we also have it that it is being 'put about' that if we pull out, the SSE have other partners lined up.

Scoff some of you may but just how many of these utility companies have invested in windfarms AND interconnectors and what would their balance sheets look like WITHOUT the subsidies.

I am highly dubious of The Charitable Trust's claims; which banks? Have they named these banks? Have they stated the repayment period? Have they stated the APR (%)?

All this reminds me of flogging an old banger in the Classifieds - how many of you have gone to view a car and for the seller to say "I've got another 3 people interested and one is coming tomorrow"; the old techniques of trying to get you to rush into a purchase.

Not persuaded, I'm afraid.

Unlinked, before you go any further, could you please provide some examples of these, otherwise mythical, developments which have provided cast iron, rock solid, guarantees of all future income and financing before even the first spade is turned in the earth.

I'm sure we would all like to hear about them.

Unlinked, before you go any further, could you please provide some examples of these, otherwise mythical, developments which have provided cast iron, rock solid, guarantees of all future income and financing before even the first spade is turned in the earth.

Arab, could you please note that I didn't mention any "of these, otherwise mythical, developments". However, since you refer to "mythical" developments, I can refer to one.

Many a time we see rainbows in Shetland. Mythical legend has it that there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Perhaps you need to be reminded that rainbows disappear and thus, alas, so does the inevitable invisible pot of gold.

Arab, could you please note that I didn't mention any "of these, otherwise mythical, developments". However, since you refer to "mythical" developments, I can refer to one.

Many a time we see rainbows in Shetland. Mythical legend has it that there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Perhaps you need to be reminded that rainbows disappear and thus, alas, so does the inevitable invisible pot of gold.

Very funny.

But seriously, why are you holding VE up to standards which would never be asked of any other commercial development, other than the fact you don't like it, of course.

Edit: It is amusing though, seeing all the NIMBY's freaking out over the possibility of other windfarms being built on Shetland, considering they've spent the last 5 years screaming about how dodgy the VE business plan is.

If it was that bad, then no other company would go near Shetland, yet they seem to be falling over themselves to get a piece of the action (according to the nimby's, anyway).

You sound like you know what you are talking about. :wink:

Though not always true....

1924 saw the last of the necessary Collie crosses, this time a bitch, Chestnut Sweet Lady was mated to Chestnut Rainbow, a tricolour Sheltie and the result was eight puppies. This was to be one of the most important litters in the breeds modern day history, as one of the puppies, Chestnut Bud was sold to Jim Saunders of the Helensdale prefix and Bud was behind many of the famous Helensdales. Four puppies were sold to Dr. Margaret Todd of the Clerwood prefix, and the smallest puppy was bought by Mrs. E. Baker of the Houghton Hill prefix. This dog was the sire of Ch Uam Var of Houghton Hill, one of the most important sires in those years leading up to the Second World War.
:lol:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh dear Arab, you haven't quite grasped the concept that other commercial businesses don't go running to charities for dosh but go to banks, now have you? You also don't appear to have grasped the concept that they make it known to their shareholders and stakeholders the pros and cons of investments/developments. So far, the Shetland public have only heard the pros from the VE propaganda machine and not the cons. Now if you take the view that commercial businesses go running to their shareholders sometimes and not banks, even then, they would outline the pros and cons - WHY CAN'T VE AND OUR CHARITABLE TRUST?

I think what irks many, many people in Shetland is both the broken promises and bouldering on attitude of VE.

I attended the Sustainable Shetland(SS) meeting last night and Billy Fox finished by playing a recording of a Radio Shetland Speakeasy programme from 2008 which had Allan Wishart stating that there would be no decision until a public health impact assessment and environmental impact assessment was known.

VE has since dropped the Health Impact Assessment and Allan Wishart subsequently went on to be VE's Project Co-ordinator.....

What spoke to me just as much as anything last night is that SS are just ordinary people fighting from their hearts for the good of Shetland against the machine of power, money(Charitable Trust, VE, Scottish & Southern) and a blinkered Scottish Government.

Somebody asked if there was an EU directive which banned the destruction of blanket bog and peat moorland to which Billy Fox replied that there is, but VE and the Scottish Government have chosen to ignore it.

It's only when you sit and listen to what SS is saying that you realise the utter folly of this project.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh dear Arab, you haven't quite grasped the concept that other commercial businesses don't go running to charities for dosh

What other businesses are there but commercial.

Oh, some of the little red people HERE have had a business helped by a charity.

Tuts, I forgot to be pedantic. I should have said large, well-established companies and not those aged under 25 starting up in business. Oh, whilst I'm being pedantic, none were in Shetland, SP - note the absence of the red dots this far North.

Lightning!

I have not been able to see how your argument will help your wish of seeing VE fail, I cannot see how it makes a difference. You were already wrong on the shareholder bit as regards to councillors loosing an election.

I am glad that you know how the planning bit works, I am sure you will make a point and a good point. If you were to mention anything about the planning stages at the relevant hearings, also, if there is an appeal by VE, and it is held in their favour, then it can only be right, especially as it has taken so long to get too.

I will look forward to reading the minutes of the meeting, and that of VE, to get a balanced view. I am all in favour of sustainable energy production, if it is right for the area and built for the right reasons. Also, I am in favour of making the most from any of the results.

What is your plan "B" to get the interconnection completed if VE eventually fail to get permission to build?

Absolutely shocking, nearly 40 gallons. How many times has this happened?

As many as 69?

the report mentions that they have managed to dig it out and dispose of it.

sp your ignorance on the siting of the VE windfarm is as complete as all other subjects you post on.

Just one gallon of gearbox oil washed into the hill drainage and peat-pipes would wipe out all aquatic life in the watercourses and trout lochs.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy