Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

YESSSS!!!!!! dats exactly whit am sayin!! how da hell are yu goin to recoupe any losses when da garrison cant even be filled!!!??? da mareel is going to cost each person waaaay more den whit da garrison charges! can nobody see dat logic?? da mareel should nivir hae been started in da first place!!!

da mareel should nivir hae been started in da first place!!!

Possibly so but it may be a tad too late now.

It is (almost) here so we are going to have to live with it. Maybe it will only be filled by some big events that will necessitate paying some acts mega bucks to get them up here to perform.

I have to agree that I can't see it being profitable but, with some creative accounting and loads of drinking, it could be organised to make just a modest loss, perhaps. That, I could live with, as it would be there to provide a service to the community.

YESSSS!!!!!! dats exactly whit am sayin!! how da hell are yu goin to recoupe any losses when da garrison cant even be filled!!!??? da mareel is going to cost each person waaaay more den whit da garrison charges! can nobody see dat logic?? da mareel should nivir hae been started in da first place!!!

Firstly, there seems to be a misconception that a cinema needs to be operating at or near capacity to be viable - that's simply not the case.

To cut a long story short, Mareel will require far less audience members per screening than the Garrison to hit the break even point (I'm reluctant to give a figure as there are several factors involved, but in many cases it'll be in the region of 5 or 6).

The Garrison has to be turned into a cinema every month - technicians have to set up the screen, sound system and projector. Mareel won't have these regular overheads as it is a permanent install.

The Garrison uses 'traditional' opto-mechanical technology - large, heavy and costly to operate and maintain. Mareel will use digital projectors - far cheaper all round.

The Garrison uses reels of film - expensive, delicate and cumbersome to transport and handle. A projectionist has to spool the film onto the projector when it arrives and check the entire film for faults, and sit through each screening. Mareel will enjoy the benefits of digital distribution - films are downloaded from a secure server or posted in a hard drive and are ready to go at the press of a button.

Also, there are a limited number of reels of each film in circulation, therefore there's a waiting list and preference is given to bigger cinemas with more clout. There's no such problem with making copies of digital files meaning Mareel will be able to show films on their national release dates rather than waiting months for a reel to become available.

^ that's just some of the main factors that mean Mareel can operate far more efficiently as a cinema than the Garrison.

Also, Mareel will mean the Garrison will be available for an additional four days a month for it's principle purpose as a theatre. The Garrison is regularly block booked for months, and years in many cases, in advance.

when da garrison cant even be filled!!!???

I have only been to the Garrison once to see a movie, there is many reasons not to go again. I can't wait to be able to watch movies in Mareel when I am up north, a major factor is comfort. Now I'm not saying Mareel could be filled for that reason, but I can see it being a reason that more people will go to Mareel than currently go to the Garrison.

hahaha.........yur obviously VERY optamistic!!! yur assuming an wi aa kaen whit assuming means!!...i truly hoop yu are right but if yu honestly cant see da forest for da trees dir nothin i cin say dat will illuminate the terrain we now find ourselves upon!!! Glad yuve informed me as to da running costs etc. bryan...dis is truly brilliant as the mareel is more cost effective and cheaper to run den da ticket prices will be cheap too!!! yippeee!! my previous trip to da garrison will now cost...hmmm da brucks o a tenner!! amazing thank you....and as fur comfort at da garrisons seats!!! whit da hell!! anyones ass will get numb sitting still for an hour and a half unless yur expecting da mareels seats to be made as my above posts states!!! cant wait to see da mareels comfy seats!!(rows upon rows o leather recliners!!!)......and im so glad that the ones who stay sooth will be making regular trips up most weeks to use dis hallowed venue!!.....roll on da dae da mareel opens as i am now a BELIEVER!!.........

must use smilies to boost my intellect....hold on..... :D :shock: :wink:

So I guess installing a digital projector in the garison was completely out of the question on technical grounds the same with comfier seats.

Any big act that will fill the mareel will make a loss because it will only hold the brucks of 600 folk, to have any chance of break even they will have to use the clickimin.

and if anyone outside the arts trust cleek want a ticket then the act will have to arrange sale of their themselves just like a certain comedian coming up next month.

^Bryan you're not getting in to the Shetlink spirit here, the Mareel thread is fuelled on hearsay, rumour, utter fabrication and anything but the facts :lol:

It is? Well if that is the case, then how come it was reported (Nice to see the reporter decided to 'borrow' some of Ghostie's and my comments) in the local rag mag a few weeks ago? I recall voicing concern re kitchens, space, etc., - seems I wasn't alone.

Of course, some of the rumour could be dispelled if one had had a site visit, or, perish the thought, that the documents referred to in the Planning Application (namely the Appendices) were available online - not all of us mere country peeps can get into town easily during office hours to inspect said documentation.

Having read much of the official waffle that is available though, I'm still concerned regarding vibration and also noise transferrence. I'm not buying the alleged 'state of the art' soundproofing - looks like the standard stuff used in other cinema complexes and besides which, the manufacturer's data sheet will, no doubt, state to what decibels it is soundproofed to which brings into question YET AGAIN as to how loud a band can play and whether or not there will be a device which limits the output.

So if you want to quash rumours, then at least put more information into the public domain.

Oh yeah, as a minor point - where's the cloakroom with said assistant to store your coats when you come in from the pouring rain - or are peeps meant to watch films/bands/whatever in their wet clothes?

cum now people da mareel is great idea...(on paper!(toilet))...wonder what da BIG band dat will open da Mareel will be...ooo Black Sabbath, da original lineup!! im sure Bill Ward would come back if he knew Sabbath was asked to play at da openin!...an i wonder what da first movie will be?....ooo da Titanic!...(how ironic!)..maybe Field of Dreams wi Kevin Costner!!..."if yu build it, they will come"...... :wink:

.....cant wait for it to open!!

So peeriebryan, does this mean that Mareel will use BT Vision ,£3 ago for a film.

Oh dear! why did I not think of this,could have turned the house into a cinema & lived in a hotel just for buying a few flat screen monitors & a few decent speakers :twisted:

To cut a long story short, Mareel will require far less audience members per screening than the Garrison to hit the break even point (I'm reluctant to give a figure as there are several factors involved, but in many cases it'll be in the region of 5 or 6).

Sorry Brian, I'm struggling with this, I've read it over many times but It's maybe to early in the morning for me. Do you mean 5 or 6 'factors' or 5 or 6 'people'???

Sorry Brian, I'm struggling with this, I've read it over many times but It's maybe to early in the morning for me. Do you mean 5 or 6 'factors' or 5 or 6 'people'???

I'm sure you mean 5 or 6 people required to watch a film for Mareel to 'hit the break even point', I'm just struggling to comprehend how that can be :cry: :oops:

5-6 people are yu insane!!? yur building a venue for what myt b 5-6 people!! how blessed are we?......ticket costs?.. joost da question i wid lik answered!(one of many...),if da facts an figures fur running a cheaper more economical venue are true den da cost of a ticket will hae been evaluated as weel! so lets be havin it den....joost whit will da cost o an adult ticket be??...............

.........Im a believer!!!!!!!...........

......I love smilies! dir so damn 8)