Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

So is that it........no more objectors coming out of the woodwork to deny Shetland a cinema and a good music venue?. At long last the project team can turn their thoughts to getting the place built on time and on budget. Just has to be too early to start discussions about what the first film to be shown should be although I do have one oddball idea already.

No, I was thinking that instead of some great Hollywood blockbuster the cinema could open with a week showing all the Shetland films that they can get hold of.........maybe as a sort of shakedown in the week before the official opening. Everything from "Edge of the World" to "Its nice up North".

• 1 month later...
Wow the RBS can post record figures into the red in the global credit crunch, house prices are falling and the SIC’s funds are running out faster than Robbie runs but lets all go to the new Mareel and spend the giro on subsidised “local†booze.

I posted this over a month ago, no comment from you yes punters. Sustainability my ass. When is the SIC going to understand boom and bust.

Spend spend spend ooo it all gone. Sorry we made a mistake. Thank goodness wills has got balls

I posted this over a month ago, no comment from you yes punters. Sustainability my ass. When is the SIC going to understand boom and bust.

Spend spend spend ooo it all gone. Sorry we made a mistake. Thank goodness wills has got balls

The 'Yes' guys gone very quiet indeed. I hear that SIBC's quote that the tenders had come back in the region of £15 million was only a couple of hundred thousand off the mark so they're desperately trying to shave off at least a couple of million.

No response either way yet on the State Aid complaint and the European funding announcement is about two weeks overdue now.

How does a £7 million project get to £15 million anyway? Shetland Arties have even outdone da cooncil in spectacular fashion!!

Wills' investigation - bring it on. :twisted:

Wow the RBS can post record figures into the red in the global credit crunch, house prices are falling and the SIC’s funds are running out faster than Robbie runs but lets all go to the new Mareel and spend the giro on subsidised “local†booze.

What are we to comment on? You've made a speculative statement. If you provide some hard data to attempt to show that Mareel will fail, I'm sure many will be happy discuss.

Shetland has loads of great places to play. Which have been around for years. Why do we 'need' a bigger, 'better' venue? Is that really going to make more amazing musicians?... Err, no!

"Shetland has loads of great places to play". Country halls? Clickimin? Garrison? Pubs? Sound hall? I'll take your opinion seriously when you're tried to put on a gig at several venues.

"Is that really going to make more amazing musicians?". You mean like the way that Clickimin did nothing for sport? Remember the Island Games didn't happen. :roll:

I posted this over a month ago, no comment from you yes punters.

I've highlighted the reason it was ignored. You were obviously not open to discussion nor reason.

When is the SIC going to understand boom and bust.

Probably never.

Because it takes great big balls to say "no", doesn't it.

I've highlighted the reason it was ignored. You were obviously not open to discussion nor reason.

And on the other hand, you are open to discussion or reason as to why the rest of us should pay for a £15 million pub trying to masquerade as something this community needs?

Please feel free to ignore me too, its a small price to pay for being right. :lol:

And on the other hand, you are open to discussion or reason as to why the rest of us should pay for a £15 million

Yup. I can easily accept why folk are for / against spending huge amounts of money they are for / against. Hang on...

pub trying to masquerade as something this community needs?

Oh dear, I see you can't :wink:

Please feel free to ignore me too, its a small price to pay for being right. :lol:

Never said I was "right". I'll leave you and nic to pat each others backs me thinks.

And on the other hand, you are open to discussion or reason as to why the rest of us should pay for a £15 million pub trying to masquerade as something this community needs?

"CI-NE-MA".

Do you understand the term?

And a PROPER music venue which will have an incredible impact on Shetland's already phenomenal music scene.

You may not value these as important or consider them necessary. Many others do.

It's happening.

Deal with it.

Sure i would love a new cinema and music venue that i could visit, who wouldn't? I would also like a new car, one holiday a year and windows that don’t piss in water. But in current circumstances I can't afford it.

Live within ur means