peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Personally I recommend staying away from extra salty or strong flavours. We survive on m&s mints, they help the mouth feel clean.

Most importantly don't stress about it. The wind'll have died down, you'll be fine, don't make it more of an issue to yourself. Seasickness is brought on by a number of factors and stress is a big one. Try some bach rescue, some travel pressure bands, some knitting or a pack of cards.

We got caught up in last weekend's delays - travelling down on Wed and back on Sun night and I dont know what all the fuss was about, both trips were a little bumpy, but what do you expect in January in Shetland?

I have been on trips heaps worse with P & O and at least they sailed when it got a bit rough!

The reason for getting in so late is simply that the boat now slows down when it gets rough to make it more comfortable for passengers - so there is no such thing as a "rough" trip any more - I was actually quite disapointed - lying flat on my bunk, most of the time it was positively pleasant!

Well I'm glad to hear that it is mainly pleasant and I think all the others will to.

That's the weather forecast I found:

SATURDAY 23rd: Cloudy with a F5 S to SE’ly wind and occasional showers, these becoming more frequent and prolonged later as winds become SE to E’ly.

Sea state – Rough or very rough around Shetland, with a 4 to 5 metre SE'ly swell. Moderate or rough in Orkney waters, with a 2 to 3 metre S or SE’ly swell.

SUNDAY 24th: Mainly cloudy with some showers, these perhaps wintry at times. Feeling cold in a raw F5 ESE’ly wind.

Sea state – Moderate or rough, with a 2 to 3 metre S to SE'ly swell.

Doesn't sound that bad. So I'm looking forward to it. :mrgreen:

The reason for getting in so late is simply that the boat now slows down when it gets rough to make it more comfortable for passengers - so there is no such thing as a "rough" trip any more - I was actually quite disapointed - lying flat on my bunk, most of the time it was positively pleasant!

Yea right! folk are puking everwhere, but hey theres no such thing as a rough trip hey?

I've been on many a trip where folk have succumbed to "mal de mer" before the boat even passed the Bressay light on a flat calm night - I dinna think there's a direct correlation between the state of the weather and the propensity to motion sickness. Sometimes the rougher the trip the better because the inner ear dusna have a clue what's going on.

Exactly - the roughness of the crossing doesn't have much effect on the seasickness thing.

I remember a few yers ago coming up at this time of year, just before the Lerwick Up Helly Aa, and the boat was pinned. It was a fine night, but one lass no far fae me was sick when she heard the bang of the bow doors closing!

That was by far my worst night on the boat, flat calm but people spewin all over the place. (Edit - actually, I have to ask here - does seasickness really come on so fast you dont have time to move? I felt sorry for the ships crew having to clean all the carpets where the lazy buggers just spewed where they sat..)

There is a huge difference in the weather they are prepared to sail in these days, as explained by Northlink not long ago. Due to the number of complaints about moderately rough weather, they just don't go.

I dinna think there's a direct correlation between the state of the weather and the propensity to motion sickness. Sometimes the rougher the trip the better because the inner ear dusna have a clue what's going on.

Interesting point there bug.

But the answers to how to reduce, sea sickness still applies though.

And on some of the trips. I have done back home. The worst part was just out side Aberdeen Harbour when the boat turned on to her main course for home. The boat did some heavy rolling and eased of again after the turn

Some of you may recall that I said after moving up here in June, my dogs definitely would not do the ferry again and I think I said I never would too.

Oh heck ...

... 78 year old falls on Sunday, hospitalised with severe facial bruising, fractured nose and blood pressure going all over the shot. As they were short on beds, they discharged her yesterday ...

... moi is booked on the ferry for Sunday night to go and look after her for a few days in the North of England ...

"What is weather looking like for Sunday", sez I.

Their reply was that it was too early to tell but they anticipate tonight's sailing will be late arriving in Aberdeen as they intend to go slower to make things more comfortable for those onboard.

Ah yes, I'm really looking forward to the trip - I'm gonna head to the bar! I think I'll skip on booking the train ticket down to England in case ferry does get in late.

Slightly separate note: Wasn't Sha getting ferry here and plane back or was it other way round?

At the end of the day this is the northern part of the north sea, the weather is so varible its hard to predict, the crew on the ships dont want it rough either - imagine doing your job while on the boat in a course night? they have no choice. you cant blame northlink for sailing we can all look at weather forecast and make our own minds up. if you get seasick then fly or just put up with it.

one thing northlink can be critised on is not sailing due to complaints thats crazy its a lifeline service, unless the weather is too severe.

we all choose too live on a island what else can we expect!!

At the end of the day this is the northern part of the north sea, the weather is so varible its hard to predict, the crew on the ships dont want it rough either - imagine doing your job while on the boat in a course night? they have no choice. you cant blame northlink for sailing we can all look at weather forecast and make our own minds up. if you get seasick then fly or just put up with it.

one thing northlink can be critised on is not sailing due to complaints thats crazy its a lifeline service, unless the weather is too severe.

we all choose too live on a island what else can we expect!!

Eh? I wasn't moaning about the boats running late or not running - I don't like ferries (comes from typing up the witness statements from the survivors of a disaster) - if flights weren't all booked up/delays due to snow/hubby being unable to get time off/me get to Lerwick to get ear equaliser pressure thingies for ear/dosh permitting; I would have left as soon as my 78 year old friend got admitted to hospital.

Of course I know we live on an island and my geography may be naff but I know where we are LOL. Hence, given travel restraints due to weather, I have not booked the train ticket in advance for Aberdeen going south.

Sorry if you thought I was moaning about safety/weather/boat sailing because that was not my intention. Thankfully, I don't tend to get seasick.

^^ Thank you Paul and Mainlander for your kind words. I have been very worried about her and had to organise for neighbours to stay overnight with her until I could get there (didn't want to risk her falling down the stairs again until her blood pressure is sorted out, etc.).

I've done a lot of organising from this end (like arguing with the GP Receptionist who finally agreed to put me through to the Manager and have got an appointment booked for next week) - tried to tell me they couldn't see her for two weeks!

She sounded a bit chirpier on the phone today (she's only got 30% hearing too, bless her) and is taking advice and is sat in front of her TV with strict orders not to start doing too much. I've organised getting a hot meal in for her each day - blimey, I've even ordered a StannahLift catalogue!

I've promised her I'll take some photographs of Shetland down with me.

She knows I've got the boat booked so just fingers crossed that the trains are okay.

Once more, thanks for your kind words.