Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Ferry trips cancelled as forecasters warn of severe south-easterly gales

Tonight’s north boat sailings have been cancelled in both directions by operator NorthLink because of a forecast of severe south-easterly gales.

Tomorrow night’s sailing from Lerwick to Aberdeen is currently under review and a decision on whether to proceed will be announced at 10am tomorrow.

Meanwhile the freight ship Hildasay, which arrived in Lerwick just before 8am this morning, will not sail south as scheduled at 6pm tonight and the Clare will remain in Aberdeen.

Well of course Northlink are going to criticised if they cancel sailings and criticised if they don't. And doubtless we are all going to starve if we have a whole 2 days without fresh supplies from south. Question has to be if these are cancellations due to the weather or cancellations due to the unsuitability of Aberdeen harbour for ferry operations in these conditions.

Were this to continue would there be any merit in thinking of the freight boat going to Scrabster to collect perishable goods that would of course have to be driven from Aberdeen. Or even one of the ferries heading for Scrabster.

Heard earlier this morning The Hrossey is staying in Aberdeen Harbour tonight and will not be sailing!!

Weather here in Aberdeen today is very bad with 2 meter swell in the Channel and 3-4 Meter waves at the entrance! Pilotage is suspended untill weather conditions improve. So far today only 1 vessel is left the harbour and none have entered!

Very low tides just now so with 2 meter swell in the channel there is a very big risk of vessels hitting the bottom. :shock:

And just as the wind dies down and all ferries were set to sail tonight (copied from the Northlink operational news page):

M.V. Hrossey

While berthed in Aberdeen , MV Hrossey was struck by a passing oil supply vessel. Repairs are underway but are estimated to take over 36 hours to complete. As a consequence Friday's sailing at 1900 to Lerwick and Saturday's southbound sailing from Lerwick at 1900 have both been cancelled

Have folk become that dependent on the ferry for their sustenance?

The thing about an island is it is made from ground, and that is where food comes from, donit?

peat how many days food have you in storage now. its easy to pick on us for wanting fresh fruit and veg when you live in an area thats very well served with supermarkets.

Well it would seem that something amorous, mounted the Hrossey in Aberdeen this morning. And now a wee pony may well be on the way? So in three months time Northlink can claim she is to big to get into Aberdeen all together

Aha, but then a few months after that we'll have three ferries - everyone's a winner!

But it is not only a case of fresh food being delayed. Things like spare parts are also held up and even worse medications that people need and rely on are being delayed because Aberdeen Harbour is either unsuitable for a lifeline ferry service or, and I go with this one, is suitable but is made unsuitable because the Harbour Board are not prepared to spend money to ensure that their port is open as much as possible.

I think after the fuss the oil industry made about aberdeen being shut something maybe done about it. I can't see the Chamber of Commerce taking any threats lightly, money speaks in Aberdeen and our "lifeline" ferry service may not mean much to them, but being "Europe's Oil Capital" is an important title to the north east's greedy sods.

Have folk become that dependent on the ferry for their sustenance?

The thing about an island is it is made from ground, and that is where food comes from, donit?

peat how many days food have you in storage now. its easy to pick on us for wanting fresh fruit and veg when you live in an area thats very well served with supermarkets.

Sorry if I'm pointing out a fact that has been done to death many times on this forum.

But when the boats don't arrive, try buying from the local shops instead of the supermarkets. Local produce, at fair prices, supporting local people. How difficult is that to understand. :roll:

For the love of (insert whatever supreme being you believe in), how did Shetland ever survive with only 2 ferries a week, as I can recall in my younger days? Simple, folk bought local, or grew their own.

Exit forum stage right, in total disbelief at the crap posted here sometimes.......

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Donkeys years ago Shetland Produce could feed everyone on the Island .

Now with the influx of much needed incomers this is no longer possible .

Whenever you hear a ferry has been cancelled people tend to panic buy .

I personally have a family member that needs certain foods and medication due to an ailment , so I do panic when ferries are cancelled or delayed .