Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

[*** mod edit - thread merged***]

There is a rumour going around the town that a couple of squads are hiring bands for their acts this year, supposedely both these bands have women in them. Is that in the rules?

Now is this the demise of the biggest and best up-helly-aa by allowing these women folk oot like the smaller country fire festivals? :D

Are you going to add a no to the poll question? My opinion for what it's worth I think it's up to the individual squads and any femaled who would want to take part. I personally wouldn't wish to take part. I also dont think it would be the demise of Lerwick UHA if they allowed females to join in.

Will there be again a 'Fiery Sessions' 2010 in the Garrison Theatre ?

Peerie Bryan is the guy to ask about this because it is a fringe event organised by Shetland Arts rather than the committee. I certainly hope it is on again because it is an excellent event and well timed. What I can't understand is why a change was made from the two venue approach to just using the Garrison. When Islesburgh was also used in parallel with the Garrison, both concerts sold out early, so there is clearly no problem on that issue. I thought the idea of running the two concerts in parallel was a nice touch as it reflects the UHA hall procedure with the acts travelling between.

It comes down to the availability of musicians during the day; most are at either work or school so they need to arrange time off and musicians from several groups play with the Jarl squad. Many play all night with squads or in halls too and are understandably not keen on taking on further commitments during the preceding afternoon

Good Morning,

Are the people this time not interested or is there nothing "special" 2010 ?

As well as the Fiery Sessions, there is another Stand Up Helly Aa - I've already bought my ticket. Sandy Nelson will be introducing Mark Nelson ( no relation as far as I know) and Raymond Mearns. Have met Mark but never seen him perform, however I did see Raymond perform at Snafu in Aberdeen in December and he had me literally cracking up with laughter...

[*** mod edit - thread merged***]

There is a rumour going around the town that a couple of squads are hiring bands for their acts this year, supposedely both these bands have women in them. Is that in the rules?

Now is this the demise of the biggest and best up-helly-aa by allowing these women folk oot like the smaller country fire festivals? :D

The question is appropriate to the Username anyway.

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa