Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

• 3 weeks later...

Infact the policy of the Lib Dems in calling for another referendum will, I suspect, serve them well. They are savvy enough to understand that the "will" of the majority of people is now undoubtedly to remain in the EU and they are hoping to capitalise on that at the next election.

The results of local elections in England and Wales seem to suggest the Lib Dems Brexit policy is indeed serving them well with a 700 seat (+108%) gain. The only other firmly anti Brexit party, the Greens, gained 265 seats (+273%) while the Tories shed 1300 (- 27%). Brexit champions UKIP were annihilated shedding 145 seats, a near total wipeout at -82%.

Infact the policy of the Lib Dems in calling for another referendum will, I suspect, serve them well. They are savvy enough to understand that the "will" of the majority of people is now undoubtedly to remain in the EU and they are hoping to capitalise on that at the next election.

The results of local elections in England and Wales seem to suggest the Lib Dems Brexit policy is indeed serving them well with a 700 seat (+108%) gain. The only other firmly anti Brexit party, the Greens, gained 265 seats (+273%) while the Tories shed 1300 (- 27%). Brexit champions UKIP were annihilated shedding 145 seats, a near total wipeout at -82%.

I don’t think it’s support of the Lib Dem’s policies, more of a disapproval to the ‘Cons’ and Labour being entirely useless. Just have to look back at how ineffective Lib Dem’s were as the ‘Cons’ lapdog.

Its not like folk had much choice what to vote for. With the Tory and Labour having been made unsupportable by the damn fool antics of their MPs, the Lib Dems were really the only choice for anyone who feared being perceived as an 'extremist' and/or wanted a 'regular' person in charge of their local affairs.

Had the Brexit Party fielded candidates the outcome could well have been a very different one, although support likely would not have been anywhere near what it will be in a national election, as most people are smart enough to know party allegiance at a local ballot level is largely irrelevant to national matters. UKIP are dead and gone, 2016's news, and of no relevance any longer. Their rout was predictable.

I don’t think it’s support of the Lib Dem’s policies, more of a disapproval to the ‘Cons’ and Labour being entirely useless. Just have to look back at how ineffective Lib Dem’s were as the ‘Cons’ lapdog.

That could be true in the case of the Tories, but Labour only suffered a -4% swing against them which, while its certainly an indication of voter disapproval, doesn't suggest catastrophic levels of disenchantment. The relatively small swing against Labour also fits with my thesis that the results are a barometer of the current status of public support for Brexit, given that Corbyn is stuck firmly on the fence with all bets hedged in that regard.

Its not like folk had much choice what to vote for. With the Tory and Labour having been made unsupportable by the damn fool antics of their MPs,

OK, but,

as most people are smart enough to know party allegiance at a local ballot level is largely irrelevant to national matters

You can't have it both ways.

the Lib Dems were really the only choice for anyone who feared being perceived as an 'extremist'

It's a secret ballot, nothing to fear.

UKIP are dead and gone, 2016's news, and of no relevance any longer. Their rout was predictable.

For predictions to be credible, they have to be made before the event.

Well I’m not influenced in anyway by the Liberals success in the recent  English local elections.

The liberals like many other politicians have defied our democratic  values , if they and the rest of the self centred so called MPs had got on with what was expected of them ,we could have been out of the EU with all the necessary business deals  in place.

2½ nearly three years of meaningless discussion all at our expense , we pay them for this.  Imagine they were working on a building site, and not a brick laid!  

It looks like the only answer to this parliamentary debacle is going to be another repeat referendum, which I am very much against, but  if it could solve the problem and get the nation back on course again then so be it.

Of course a general election might also solve a few problems hopefully  getting rid of some of the selfish ”my way or no way” individuals that seem to dominate our corridors of power throughout  the UK parliamentary system

Its not like folk had much choice what to vote for. With the Tory and Labour having been made unsupportable by the damn fool antics of their MPs, the Lib Dems were really the only choice for anyone who feared being perceived as an 'extremist' and/or wanted a 'regular' person in charge of their local affairs.

Please justify your statement regarding the Lib Dimbo's. After all, there's one of them that gets up to their own damn fool antics. That's the one that stated that he was finished with politics a few years ago - but he's still there.

• 2 weeks later...

This Thursday we are expected to visit our appropriate polling station and cast what should have been an unnecessary vote to elect members for the European market that we should have been out of by now. 

This situation as we all know  has been caused by the incompetence of many of our parliamentary leaders to implement the majority vote(referendum) held on the 23rd June 2016

If my memory servers me correctly Mareel was built, contrary to public opinion, by the casting vote of the "chairman" ,and as a result of a one vote majority we now have Mareel.

This country voted by a majority of 1,269,501 to leave the EU,so why are we still members of the European Union !

I will vote on Thursday but only for a candidate (party) who respects democracy. SNP and LIBS have no chance of my vote.

Edited by Urabug

Please justify your statement regarding the Lib Dimbo's. After all, there's one of them that gets up to their own damn fool antics. That's the one that stated that he was finished with politics a few years ago - but he's still there.

I never said the Lib Dems were perfect, as a party they're far from it, but compared to recent and current Tory and Labour bumbling incompetency and lunacy, they're the lesser evil at national level.

This Thursday we are expected to visit our appropriate polling station and cast what should have been an unnecessary vote to elect members for the European market that we should have been out of by now. 

This situation as we all know  has been caused by the incompetence of many of our parliamentary leaders to implement the majority vote(referendum) held on the 23rd June 2016

If my memory servers me correctly Mareel was built, contrary to public opinion, by the casting vote of the "chairman" ,and as a result of a one vote majority we now have Mareel.

This country voted by a majority of 1,269,501 to leave the EU,so why are we still members of the European Union !

I will vote on Thursday but only for a candidate (party) who respects democracy. SNP and LIBS have no chance of my vote.

Its the election that shouldn't be, the election that may not even be legal/valid, and the election that's virtually pointless to have as we're still supposed to be going to leave......maybe......kinda......sometime.....eventually......a little bit.....sort of.

All we can do is use it to make a statement concerning the total failure by those in charge to even pretend to try and deliver anything that remotely looks like Brexit. 'Leave' supporters can pick either the Brexit party or UKIP, and remain supporters can pick from the rest, and see what happens.

Its incredibly stupid really, as while the rest of the EU will (theoretically at least) be voting in people to look after their nation's best interests within the EU and the "success" (?) of the EU as an entity going forward. We, OTOH will be sending in a bunch who will either be doing their best (hopefully) to get us out ASAP, or failing that destroying the EU from within as much as possible, or burying their heads in the sand and attempting to continue as 'normal' like the Brexit vote never happened and taking comfort in total denial. I'm surprised the EU is letting it occur knowing (or maybe they're too arrogant/stupid to see it) the trouble they're welcoming in to their midst and upon themselves.

I've already voted for the Brexit Party, and I hope between them and UKIP they poll a minimum of 17.5 million votes nationwide, as it would certainly put to bed this garbage that's being put about that so many have changed their minds in the last 3 years. They won't, of course, but dreams and aspirations are good.

Edited by Ghostrider

The short answer is that it is very easy to leave the EU: just declare Article 50 and wait two years. However, it is much harder to leave the EU and not severely damage the economy in the process, and MPs know that people who have lost their jobs and are unable to pay their mortgages are unlikely to vote for them in the next General Election.

Its the election that shouldn't be, the election that may not even be legal/valid, and the election that's virtually pointless to have as we're still supposed to be going to leave......maybe......kinda......sometime.....eventually......a little bit.....sort of.

All we can do is use it to make a statement concerning the total failure by those in charge to even pretend to try and deliver anything that remotely looks like Brexit. 'Leave' supporters can pick either the Brexit party or UKIP, and remain supporters can pick from the rest, and see what happens.

Its incredibly stupid really, as while the rest of the EU will (theoretically at least) be voting in people to look after their nation's best interests within the EU and the "success" (?) of the EU as an entity going forward. We, OTOH will be sending in a bunch who will either be doing their best (hopefully) to get us out ASAP, or failing that destroying the EU from within as much as possible, or burying their heads in the sand and attempting to continue as 'normal' like the Brexit vote never happened and taking comfort in total denial. I'm surprised the EU is letting it occur knowing (or maybe they're too arrogant/stupid to see it) the trouble they're welcoming in to their midst and upon themselves.

I've already voted for the Brexit Party, and I hope between them and UKIP they poll a minimum of 17.5 million votes nationwide, as it would certainly put to bed this garbage that's being put about that so many have changed their minds in the last 3 years. They won't, of course, but dreams and aspirations are good.

Totally agree,but no matter which way this vote goes their will be those who will go into denial mode and find excuses to try and justify what they "personally" believe in not what there constituents want.

I will vote Brexit on Thursday as a protest, in the hope that we will exit the EU soon but when so many MP's are "democratic remainers"  in other words they swear they are all for democracy but only if it suits them, means i have some serious doubts now if it will ever happen in a way we can truly say we out of the EU.

The short answer is that it is very easy to leave the EU: just declare Article 50 and wait two years. However, it is much harder to leave the EU and not severely damage the economy in the process, and MPs know that people who have lost their jobs and are unable to pay their mortgages are unlikely to vote for them in the next General Election.

Our MP's have had nearly three years to sort out all the necessary trading arrangements for a smooth exit from the EU, but have spent this time arguing and squabbling amongst themselves.

With "normal " changes in the world economy who knows what jobs are at risk Brexit or no Brexit. Climate change and all that goes with it poses a larger risk.IMHO.

Is the Sullom Voe job threats a result of Brexit?