Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Had to go to the new council offices yesterday with a friend, who pointed at the new mareel and asked me what it was. Therefore, I told her! She was a bit surprised! As she was thinking, it was the new toilets. I had to put her right and point out that not anyone with any sense of dignity would not have spent a penny never mind millions on the monstrosity. Never mind bear there bum in it

oh come on para they spent half a million on the new bogs in town. foot for foot it would have been cheaper to put some toilets in there. there new offices look a lot better then the shed. still as ong as the place producessome good shows ect then its looks will be forgiven. were we told the cost of the new oddicers and why no sell off of the old stuff.

I understand that because they are getting the films digitally they will be screened as soon as they released.

Kathie Hubbard speaks about the Mareel cinema

http://www.shetlandarts.org/shetland-arts-discusses-plans-for-cinema-in-mareel/

Thats if they take them, if they have 1.5 screen they cant show everything so id expect still to be a delay. out wee cinema will never compeet with a 7 screen cinema in aberdeen, plus they will be showing the art films too.

pity that this venture has not only cost millions,it has also cost viewforth and freefield lunch club,plus meals on wheels. an expensive white elephant

No it hasn't - any money the SIC put into Mareel came from the capital spending programme - that's a completely separate pot of money than that used for social care, etc. The law prohibits councils taking money from one and putting it into another. Everything you've just written is demonstrably complete and utter rubbish.

pity that this venture has not only cost millions,it has also cost viewforth and freefield lunch club,plus meals on wheels. an expensive white elephant

No it hasn't - any money the SIC put into Mareel came from the capital spending programme - that's a completely separate pot of money than that used for social care, etc. The law prohibits councils taking money from one and putting it into another. Everything you've just written is demonstrably complete and utter rubbish.

I don't believe that is strictly true; however, I hasten to add that the situation may have changed and/or perhaps is different in Scotland to that in England. Whilst it is true that Local Authorities cannot spend more on Housing than they raise from Housing, I've known (in the past) for Local Authorities to 'raid' other 'pots'. I remember the teachers going on strike in LB Newham. They were annoyed at cut-backs and Central Government had slashed the LBN budget for education. Newham weren't spending all of the quota on education (short by several millions) so the following year, Central Government cut it. What they had done was spent the other £30 odd million on social care.

Perhaps somebody with knowledge of the actual legislation pertaining to this could post a link?

went an saw John carter on sat!! damn good film!!....hmmm...myt a been 13 people there!!!.....sweet F.A. wrong wi da garrison!!! a splendid peerie venue dat dus da job!!....no complaints as usual from me on garrison...actually glad spoilt-arsed-satin-fanny'd fok dont bother going.."seats hurt my ass!-MY ASS!"..maks it far better to see the whole screen and non of the noisey fumbling rustling of sweetie wrappers!!!.....

went an saw John carter on sat!! damn good film!!....hmmm...myt a been 13 people there!!!.....sweet F.A. wrong wi da garrison!!! a splendid peerie venue dat dus da job!!....no complaints as usual from me on garrison...actually glad spoilt-arsed-satin-fanny'd fok dont bother going.."seats hurt my ass!-MY ASS!"..maks it far better to see the whole screen and non of the noisey fumbling rustling of sweetie wrappers!!!.....

Actually, there's plenty wrong with the Garrison as a cinema. The sightlines are wrong for a screen for a start. The rake of the seats is wrong for cinema viewing. The acoustics aren't particularly good for a cinema - and yes, the seats are uncomfortable - particularly if you're over six foot tall like me.

As has already been mentioned in this thread a few pages back, Shetland Arts looked into the possibilities of upgrading the Garrison for modern cinema provision and found it wasn't cost effective to try and do so. When it's in use for film showings, it sometimes has a knock-on effect of the building's primary use - as a theatre. There's been at least two or three occasions in recent years that I know of, where rehearsals for a show started in the theatre, then had to be moved out for film showings. Better to have dedicated spaces for both, which is one (but only one) of the many facilities Mareel will provide.

...The sightlines are wrong for a screen for a start. The rake of the seats is wrong for cinema viewing. The acoustics aren't particularly good for a cinema - and yes, the seats are uncomfortable - particularly if you're over six foot tall like me.

If the photographs are anything to go by, the seating in Mareel looks extremely steep. I've sat in cinemas like that and you literally feel like you're going to go ass over t i t straight into the rows in front of you. Talk about making you dizzy! By the way, anyone else notice the snagging item, namely the drinks holder halfway along the row in the photograph that is bent? :wink:

oh dear...drinks holder snagging problem!! aaargh!....hoop dis mareel seats ir height adjustable as no aa o wis is 6ft!!....so if som 6ft een sits afoare me my sightline will be f***t!!....wow seating rows, sightlines, horizontal and vertical pitch, aiwa soundsystem but to name a few are going to b perfect in da mareel by da soonds o it!......

Hmm so is da garrison going to remain operational as a theatre? cos the seating is no use and will have to be replaced then...as with acoustics etc..

If the photographs are anything to go by, the seating in Mareel looks extremely steep. I've sat in cinemas like that and you literally feel like you're going to go ass over t i t straight into the rows in front of you. Talk about making you dizzy! By the way, anyone else notice the snagging item, namely the drinks holder halfway along the row in the photograph that is bent? :wink:

Well, when I was in there a few months ago, the rake of the seats isn't nearly so steep as in some cinemas I've been to down south. Dunno about the cup holder you mentioned.