Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Just had a look at the Mareel Cafe website and there are a couple of errors in the beer section that make me wonder about the suitability of the people running the bar (or the website) to be doing so.

Take this "Punk IPA - a light golden beer with a tropical fruit flavour and light caramel smell, brewed by BrewDog in Aberdeen.". Well a great beer but it is brewed in Fraserburgh (or Aberdeenshire) but not Aberdeen.

Then there is this "Bitter & Twisted - brewed by Harviestoun in the Fourth Valley, this is a delightfully refreshing blond beer with a finish that is like a twist of lemon." Where exactly is the Fourth Valley.........between the third and the fifth perhaps?.

There is a hell of a lot of public money gone into Mareel and it would be good if the people spending that money could get things right. Just look for the other errors in the beer section folks!.

I underestand that the deal with the distributors means that they have to show what they get offrered, so there will be a lack of choice sometimes.

And no time ago people were complaing that we only got the big films months after release.

It's constantly surprised me how many people don't know the basics of how cinemas work, but thats not a bad thing, it just shows how much we needed one!

Programming like this has always and will always be the case. Generally, to get a movie on release date cinemas have to do whatever the distributor wants, which is usually exclusive showings at the prime times for that genre on the main screen(s).

Logic would say that with Mareel being so new they will need some time to build up a relationship with distributors and a knowledge of local viewing patterns (this could be a year or more down the line, since there is an obvious peak just now) to be able to fine tune things.

Really, bearing in mind there are only 2 screens, it is pretty impressive what the programmer(s) have done already.

Completely agree an improved website is required. The existing box office system is fine for big gigs in the auditoruim, and ok for buying tickets when you know the time and film, but a simple timetable as produced at "facecloot" is all thats required to make things so much more user friendly.

Or just copy one of the existing cinema websites, they're all pretty much the same these days. The important thing being the TIMES, as opposed to the film. This the deciding factor for most people and what they look for first.

(** mod edit - topic merged - please don't start new threads when one dealing with the same subject matter already exists **)

Was in there on Sunday with wife & kids....not impressed. Layout is very poor. So much 'dead' floorspace and the place is tiny!! The decor is plain and bland, not a cosy cafe feeling at all (Starbucks, Costa Coffee for instance has that in abundance). Had to wait until tables were organised / set up after the previous night, this was at 14:00pm. One of the chairs was broken. Coffee was served in porcelain 'beakers' with no condiments, had to get them from the counter...paid almost £14.00 for a couple of coffees, 2 cartons of juice and a couple of slices of cake.

For £12,000,000 i was expecting something with at least a little bit of 'wow' factor...there is none. In fact, the whole place seems sterile and bland...and who was the fool who decided the screenings board should be outside above the main door instead of inside above the counters???

£12,000,000 could've been spent so much better. What a great shame. Where's the Ice Rink? Where's the 10 pin bowling? Where's the soft ball toy / games / slide area for kids? Where's the arcade?......the list goes on and on.

What was sorely needed (and still is) was a £12,000,000 complex featuring all of the above inc cinema. For the 'normal' family all we really have is a cinema and a small cafe / bar...for £12,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^

So if the correct spellings of Forth, Peroni, Hoegaarden, Heineken (and possibly others - I've not checked in minute detail) had been used and if Brew Dog was accredited to Aberdeenshire rather than Aberdeen...you'd not really have much to complain about - would you.

Ah...other than Tennent's being described as "Glasgow's finest". I'm sure everybody knows the only decent thing to come out of Glasgow is the M8. :wink:

^^

So if the correct spellings of Forth, Peroni, Hoegaarden, Heineken (and possibly others - I've not checked in minute detail) had been used and if Brew Dog was accredited to Aberdeenshire rather than Aberdeen...you'd not really have much to complain about - would you.

Ah...other than Tennent's being described as "Glasgow's finest". I'm sure everybody knows the only decent thing to come out of Glasgow is the M8. :wink:

Well as it happens I can think of better Glasgow beers than Tennents but I really do think that the people paid to run our new Mareel ought to get all parts of their website right from the outset.

"Mareel is the UK's most northerly music, cinema and creative industries centre."

No mention of being a Gastronomical centre of excellence.

So why do folk keep complaining about the food side of things?

Just accept it for what it is.

Well it could have something to do with Shetland Arts showing how much the bar and catering side of the venue would contribute towards the running costs........and maybe the fact that bad bar and catering facilities might plunge the place into a financial loss.

Now we have stereo bile......

Folk in other threads have used the OP as a reason to chastise anyone (and me) from saying stuff they do not want to see written.

(New poll) Do you think a new Cinema/Music Venue should be built in Shetland?

Yes 44% [ 104 ]

Yes, but not current proposal 18% [ 42 ]

No 34% [ 79 ]

Undecided 3% [ 7 ]

Total Votes : 232

Why are folk moaning.

And the title of the thread...

Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue
why are folk being anal about the cafe and bar...