40 members have voted

1. 1. CCTV

• yes
    • no

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The was a guy who was spear heading the CCTV but he has since retired from the Police and i doubt Da Fuzz's main priority is to get someone back on it in a hurry.

Hopefully it will get sorted soon, if it stops people getting jumped am all for it. A mate got jumped by a couple of Polish dudes a few months back they tried to get his wallet and phone.... they got his phone and a few blackeyes for their efforts. He reported it to the Police and and found the guys who did it.

They said he was giving them racial abuse and he started a fight with them. It resulted in charges being brought against him until a couple of witnesses who happened to see what happened from a window came forward. The Police found the phone with the Polish guys and they were done... with CCTV they wold not have been able to mix the story.

I have to say that I find this whole thing about the poles kinda petty. Ok, they stick out like a sore thumb, but only because they are black. (And can I just add that i'm no a supporter of the BNP). They need to be stable before they are gonna be of any use. They are going to be replaced with a flimsier pole and a box alongside to house the control gear. Is that really going to look any better than a single pole with box built in?

If they just gave them a coat of grey paint to match the exisisting lamposts, i'm pretty sure hardly anyone would notice the difference. There is only three of them after all!

I'm not saying this because i'm full on in favour of having my every move watched. I live close enough to the control zone to have my doubts as to whether the cameras will just move the mischief makers to camp on my front door step. But if it means I can get to my house without getting a 2X2 lodged in the back of my cranium, then I'm willing to give it a go. And if It's gonna be there, I'd rather it was something that was usable in more than a gentle breeze.

whit wey ir dey no CCTV cameras in ony idder country?

Hey! Maybe the official party thinking is that we'll now believe anything you tell us, but i'm not quite sure i'm ready to accept that UK PLC is the only country on the planet with cctv.

You live in Lerwick, not the Bronx!

You live in the country, not the mean hard streets of LK. You don't know just how bad things get on an evening :twisted:

Why, only 6 months ago I was walking through the cross and some young ned tried tapping me for a fag. Had the CCTV been fully operational back then I'm sure the little n'er-do-well would've waited some place else to carry out this devastating attack and I would've made it home without having the colour of my short 'n' curlies called into question.

Seriously, I doubt the CCTV will do anything to stop all but the most stupid / inebriated of individuals. Neds and the like will just move to places new... or put their hoods up.

• 3 weeks later...

When cctv was first introduced in Holyhead, the trouble went to where the cameras weren't, Newry Beach for one area and gangs used to congregate around there. Since then, cctv coverage has been widened and the gangs are not congregating like they used to, at least not in public.

The images from the cctv have always gone to a separate control room in Holyhead and never to our Police Station here. Since cctv has gone "Island wide" there is a purpose built control room in Llangefni which monitors cctv from the main areas and any wrong doing or suspicious actions is then reported to the Police Control Room in Abergele. Maybe that could happen in Lerwick? Maybe a room set aside in the Council offices for an operator to monitor the cameras?

One of the handy things which has come out of it is, if someone from a shop or business is taking the days takings to the bank, they can phone up beforehand and the cctv operator will track this person to and from the bank, so should anything happen, help can be on hand quite quickly with the evidence recorded.

• 4 weeks later...
Radio Shetland tonight said that the the thick black poles would be replaced with thinner ones and one of the cameras would be on the TSB building, rather than Harbour House. The planning application for the TSB camera is here.

They have started to dig out the holes for the new, thinner poles opp the fort, I have seen the thicker poles wobble in the strong winds last May, without a camera on to act as a pendulum, so the thinner ones may not fare so well.