Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

I know this has been mentioned before but I suggest you all have a wee jolly to the new Turkish place in Harbour Street.

I actually felt like I had a night out on Friday. I went to Posers (for hopefully the last ever time) and then had a post pub kebab at 2.30am. Far FAR better than the "burger van" or the Tattie Shop. If word gets out, it'll be packed. I was telling the management staff this on Friday - all it would need was someone standing at the cross after the boozers come out to advertise it, they'd make a fortune. Sorry, but a tattie or a burger just doesn't fill that void left in ur tummy after a few beers. The only bad point (and it's not really one) is that it's about a 5 mins walk from the cross, but that'll work you up an appetite.

I highly recommend it - they do need to spice up the chilli sauce tho. :twisted:

On Friday I went to the Fisheries College and it was fully booked :cry:

but... they offered me a takeaway, and as we live locally it was perfect :D

We had kebabs and pizzas from the Kebab Shop - good too. First time someone here has managed anything like a proper doner kebab - cabbage rather than lettuce in the salad and one of those lovely long green chillis. Yum yum...

Mind you Globe pork and garlic burgers for tea just now were good too.

Had lunch at the maryfield in Bressay on Sunday.

Can highly recommend it, great food, friendly and helpful staff, nice surroundings and fair prices. Will definately be going again.

Went there once with someone of the female persuasion and was sat at a rather small table, so small that we couldn't sit opposite each other as the table was not wide enough to hold two plates across. Not been back since, although the food was OK.

I haven't eaten out for a while, but went to the Harbour Cafe for a breakfast recently. It just really hit the spot.

• 2 weeks later...
Went to that thai place at Glenn Orchey house the other week. Had to wait a hour for the food, it was cold when i got home, two of the orders were wrong, and it was minging. Worst take away I have ever had. Never going back!

I hate it when your hungry wait for a good meal, then it's rubbish.

I do like fish with all different kinds of flavourings - including garlic - my gripe was that there were about 7 different kinds of fish including shellfish, all cooked in a slighltly different way, and who knows there may have been herbs and other flavouring too -but the whole lot was swamped in garlic butter, I might just as well have been eating fish fingers...

Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares started again last night with a Spanish restaurant run by a Brit whose 'signature dish' was prawns in a chocolate sauce. Need I say more...

Last night there was a guy on BBC2 making a Black Forest gateau. Part of the process of making the Aero type chocolate filler involved a plastic piece box with a small hole in the lid a vacuum seal platic bag and a household vacuum cleaner - I kid you not!

Heston Blumenthal i think, the guys a genius. See the paint ideas with the chocolate too? And man, did the innards of that gateau look tasty?! It was on as i passed by the TV and i was instantly mesmerized.

Erm but that's not local :oops: perhaps we need a "food on TV" thread, i'm a bit of a G Ramsay fan myself.

Erm, on topic, erm, safeways do a good cheap breakfast.... :wink: