Olympic torch

DizzyKipper

Where is Spinner72 to give us all a slap on the wrist?!?!

I was enjoying my free coke, some excellent music and although I admit to not being too fussed about the torch from my own point of view, my daughter got to have what will almost certainly be a once in a lifetime experience and one I would't wish to have denied her.

So, thats my view, interpet as you will and It could be a slap on the wrist I guess ;)

As for numbers, I would think 2500 to be a low estimate. The clickamin grounds were fairly full, the roads were all lined and bear in mind it was quite a long route (compared to Up Helly Aa or the Carnival), and then all the people waiting for the finale across the loch.

Either way, no need to get het up, play nice, the thread can't have long to run now and everyone can move on to the next event :)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for numbers, I would think 2500 to be a low estimate. The clickamin grounds were fairly full, the roads were all lined and bear in mind it was quite a long route (compared to Up Helly Aa or the Carnival), and then all the people waiting for the finale across the loch.

Either way, no need to get het up, play nice, the thread can't have long to run now and everyone can move on to the next event :)

Shame the live feed didn't show more so that those stuck indoors (for whatever reason) could have seen how packed the Clickimin was. There were parts of the live feed that went down and even now, I can't get certain bits of it to play back.

Next event - ooh is that football? Excellent! I tend not to watch league footie these days but I'm rather partial to watching Euro and World footie matches.

THOUSANDS? Are you being sarcastic? Obviously the live webcam feed must have been supplying something else because it didn't look like thousands. There can't have been more than a couple of 100 (if that) at the pier, and there were huge chunks of streets with nobody on them.

It would appear someone's tag line isn't working. :wink:

The police said at least 2,500 people, more than 10 per cent of the islands’ population, lined the streets to cheer as the 16 runners carried the flame on its six kilometre journey, which included a boat trip across the town’s Clickimin loch.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/4258-olympic-braand-gets-viking-welcome.html

As popular as Peat Stack!!

My holiday clashed with the Olympic torch. And to be honest I wasn't even remotely bothered. I'm not even planning on watching any of it either. I think there are a few people that are not bothered about not seeing it and have posted that they don't care. So I'm not sure why some people have decided to pick on particular posters who by the way have a right to their opinion. As is everyone else. I see no problems on everyone putting their point across.

My holiday clashed with the Olympic torch. And to be honest I wasn't even remotely bothered. I'm not even planning on watching any of it either. I think there are a few people that are not bothered about not seeing it and have posted that they don't care. So I'm not sure why some people have decided to pick on particular posters who by the way have a right to their opinion. As is everyone else. I see no problems on everyone putting their point across.

Well said, I'm just relieved I didna have to eyeball a hardy Viking warrier with the wrap-around shades on ! 8)

So I'm not sure why some people have decided to pick on particular posters who by the way have a right to their opinion.

Aye spot on they do and people have the right to tell them to piss off with their opinions as well (in a polite manner within the terms and conditions of the site of course)

I thought it was a brilliant afternoon to be in Lerwick and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the torch relay in several locations.

Will I be banned for being so happy and saying the above?

Nah the mods don't ban folk for being happy but give it a bit more time and there won't be many cheery bar stewards left on shetlink. :lol:

The only disappointment was that the BBC seemed unable to engage with the yoal trip. You would have thought a cameraman could have managed to walk down to the lochside and show us the crowds and the torch on its boat journey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18386590

Seems they did - just didn't get it up live at the time.

Great! The bit I missed :D

I saw the 'staff' pointing out the seals, shame they couldn't have been got in the shots but I guess it would have been too difficult.

It looked great fun and I think, having watched the relay from some other locations, that the open camera vehicle allowing more crowd, staff and runner chat to be heard made for a much better stream.

And Shetland always looks great when the sun is out!

There were certainly decent crowds forming up when we drove through earlier this afternoon.

So it would seem that the 'negative spin/empty drum' pish and wind brigade on here have been well outnumbered by the 'simple masses'.......

Odd how some fowk can't bear to see other people actively taking part in something that they personally disagree with. Comment must be passed, others must be taught the errors of their ways by the Omniscient Ones.

They really should work on concerning themselves less with other peoples personal choices of leisure activities and also less time bolstering their own fragile online egos with tedious pages of self righteous, pompous, bluster.

Leaving aside estimates of "crowd" numbers, as you obviously saw very different sections of "crowd" than I saw. What is all this about not being able to tolerate others choices, preferences and opinions, and "teaching" them to be otherwise. Believe me, my lack of fondness for the entire human race is such that should I see a stranger about to step off a cliff, I doubt I'd so much as blink.

This is, last I checked, a public forum where anyone who chooses can post their opinions and beliefs, whatever they are (within the confines of statute and site T&C's), and as such those will cover the full spectrum and many will oppose each other.

Like I said above, I'm not disputing nor trying to change the mind of those to whom sport is "important" or at least a keen interest, that in all probability today's charade was sort kind of big deal. I couldn't disagree with them more about their belief and opinion on that, but I really could not care one jot that they hold it, and certainly aren't and won't be wasting any of my time trying to "convert" them to any other belief. They're welcome to live on eternally in whatever their rose tints show them.

I am simply expressing my opinion that I believe the Olympics, and all the broo haa haa and charades that accompany it, is the biggest pile of tosh going, in the same way as others have already expressed their opinion that they believe its the greatest thing since bread that sliced itself.... I am also expressing my opinion that I have had it up to well beyond here with all the "Olympics" spoon fed propaganda that the "Olympics are brilliant, you must like them and you damn well will like them....".

I'm glad that at least somebody got in to it, as then its wasn't all entirely wasted time, money and effort, but that's not going to change my opinion that it most certainly was. Nor is it going to change my belief and opinion that the only reason there's been no more opposition than has been, is through the use of "repeat the same lie often enough and people will believe it" philosophy.

What anyone else believes is their problem, I'm sticking with my take, and simply doing what those who believe they like the whole Olympics deal have already done, expressing my opinion. While its the opposite of their's, and may or may not be widely held, I really neither know nor care, its mine, just as their's is their's. It would be nice to think its in the minority opinion, as its so boring to be a "get with the program" person, but if its in the majority, I can live with that on this one.

Where is the problem with holding and expressing any opinion on whatever subject I so choose. Have we finally gone Commie and gotten thought police and total censorship? Strange, I thought the mob in London right now erred (allegedly) to the right, not the far left....

R.I.P. "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it" - You were a useful illusion in life, but I fear you have gone to join the already deceased "Common sense" et al.....

QED

Right between the eyes.

So I'm not sure why some people have decided to pick on particular posters who by the way have a right to their opinion.

Aye spot on they do and people have the right to tell them to piss off with their opinions as well (in a polite manner within the terms and conditions of the site of course)

Yes they are entitled to say they don't agree(and out their own opinion across too) but most of the time some people get almost "picked on" because of who they are, I think it's great that some people have the balls to tell it like they see it!