Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

There's the 'Fiery Sessions' in the Garrison Theatre, Lerwick, at 2 - 4.30pm on Tuesday 27th (Up Helly Aa day)

It's a concert featuring local traditional musicians. The line-up so far includes Maggie Adamson & Brian Nicolson; ...

When it comes to Shetland fiddlers I have long been firmly in the "There are many great talents but Willie Hunter was easily the best" camp. After hearing Maggie and Brian on Tuesday now I'm not so certain. All the acts were very good, but Maggie's fiddling left me speechless. Stunning stuff. Add to that Brian's remarkable guitar work. Yum.

Will someone please put forward a motion at the next Mass Meeting to get rid of the Grand Hotel as a hall!

The management were extremely rude to my squad and another that was there at the time (unjustly stonesing a young fiddle-box carrier) and when we got in there was less than 20 people in the hall and absolutely no atmosphere.

Get rid of it!!!!!

Put a letter to the commitee detailing your concerns. The mass meeting won't be till October and it'll get forgotten by then. It's hardly the place to bring up a subject in any detail anyhow.

If you leave it to someone else, it'll never happen.

I have to say though that I found it better than previous years. We were there fairly early on though and maybe it quietens down earlier than other places.

^^^

Beat me to it GR. Some of my pics.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/rgordon00/ChritmasUpHellyAa185.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/rgordon00/ChritmasUpHellyAa210.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/rgordon00/ChritmasUpHellyAa235.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/rgordon00/ChritmasUpHellyAa290.jpg

I was in The Grand Hotel for Up Helly AA and had a great time.

The staff seemed in good spirits to me.

Some of the acts were difficult to get because of the local joke element which visitors don't understand.

I really enjoyed the Michael Jackson and Zombies act. The girl that did the choreography for that act deserves a medal for coming up with a routine that 20 odd inebriated blokes could pull off so effectively.

I hope to be up for it again next year. :lol:

We arrived at the Big 'P' aroond 5am and i have to say it was poor, maybe a dozen or so people there. I have spoken to other squad members who are of the same opinion and some were there early doors.

It would be a shame to see it shut as i don't think they could replace it at the moment, which would mean more squads waiting at each hall and you would have less time to spend in halls next year.

Well done to KGQ owners for opening it as i know that it is run at a loss for them on the night.

It's a shame the Shetland Hotel and the Lerwick Hotel are unavailable as they are the perfect size but the owner doesn't want anything to do with UHA, on the other hand he's quite happy to take the profit from both hotels being fully booked with visitors up for the occasion. ass!

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa