33 Million of Cost/Savings Per Annum

icepick239

Careful Colin, the countryfolks are already up in arms thinking the toonies are getting all the money, if they then find out some of it's being handed out to immigrants (polite term for your 3 R's) there'll be riots - that is as long as the roads have been gritted :wink:

Funny how folk read things.

I wasn't referring to "immigrants" as (most) of them are very willing to work and contribute quite a lot to Shetland.

I was referring to the UK Nationals who turn up here looking for an easy ride..

Perhaps I should have been more specific. :?:

I think the restructuring done this time last year to save on wages only applied to management level and quite a number left voluntarily or took a pay cut or were 'promoted' to a post with more responsibilities for the same pay.

Yip Du's right, but du forgot tae mention the ones who got Hugh pay offs, noo I wonder if any of them are now working for the council again? :ponders:

Careful Colin, the countryfolks are already up in arms thinking the toonies are getting all the money, if they then find out some of it's being handed out to immigrants (polite term for your 3 R's) there'll be riots - that is as long as the roads have been gritted :wink:

I wasn't referring to "immigrants" as (most) of them are very willing to work and contribute quite a lot to Shetland.

Yes, perhaps you should be more specific. I'm English. Besides, last time I looked Shetland was part of the UK - 'some' English, 'some' Scottish, 'some' Welsh and even 'some' born here may want an easy ride - but not everyone. :cry:

How did this get derailed over 10 years ago?

Bridges, windmills, tunnels, lack of Chief exec, various scandals, numerous education reviews, AHS U turn - to name a few of the distractions they've poured cash into in the last 10 years.

Dunna forget the beautiful new bressay bridge........................consultations about other "fixed" links to the outer Isles , when they couldnt even get the first one either off the ground or indeed , below it !!.............................amongst many other things no doubt.

LOL, maybe I should have been more specific, by immigrants I was referring to UK nationals not of island origin - maybe there's a better term for the folk you were referring to - welfare surfers maybe?

as a p.s. to support your claim - a number of years ago there was a person of no fixed abode arrested for breaking into the salvation army building on the north road, he'd recently arrived from London and in his pocket were instructions of how to get welfare help to get to lerwick and then the folk in the social work to contact to get housing etc. This info was being passed around the homeless folk in London.

When will the pay cheques bounce ? :roll:

Led to believe wages are being paid out of reserves..........................................

The wages will come out of the departmental budgets but a couple of months ago the SIC was in the news saying that they'd had to sell some shares because there wasn't enough money in the bank to pay wages.

Spinner, that is rubbish ... the consumer will only ever pay market value as determined by market forces. You must work in the Public Sector?

A very poorly presented point.

Private companies don't raise Income Tax, VAT, Council Tax etc. and eitheror, raise prices.

Accepted re presentation, it was 2.30am, I stick by the point though!

I'd argue that the council, as in the people who have to make the cuts, can't raise all those things you mention, if they could then it would be a viable option in conjunction with cuts.

Conversely, private companies *can* increase prices/charge to cover shortfalls, or indeed they can even choose to simply wind up, but the council has to keep going, with all the statutory services it must provide.

But, we all know that already.

My real (poorly presented) point was that, no matter what the council proposes, a massive shift is needed in public support if it is to succeed.

I think that was maybe part of Spinner's point?

It's maybe more similar to a private company being tied into a loss making contract?

To be more efficient at doing anything, in any sector, you either reduce operating costs and/or increase turnover/unit price. Oxna.

I think that was maybe part of Spinner's point?

It's maybe more similar to a private company being tied into a loss making contract?

Pretty much yeah. And its the public that is tying the council in.

(this is all hypothetical and intended for clarification only)

Imagine a private company operating a ferry to Yell. They start off breaking even, making a small profit but then over a few years fuel prices, regulation etc push them until fares can no longer cover the costs. They can't put them up any further as people will stop using them, so they pull the plug and leave.

The council can't do that. The ore obligated to continue to provide the service somehow.

Thats where the big shift in public opinon/reaction, call it what you will, is needed. Opposing every suggestion simply wont work, but what it can do is put the council in a position where, a few years down the line, "Serco Islands Council" *do* pull the plug and the current councillors can say "I told you so".

People seem to have accepted that the cuts are required, but have yet to accept that services simply have to go. Look at the reaction to something as minimal as the small changes made to the gritting service. Yet to call that the tip of the iceberg would surely be a massive understatement!