Poll - 2019 Shetland MSP by-election

Davie P

Holyrood Election  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the election were tomorrow, who would you vote for?

• Johan Adamson, Labour
    • Brydon Goodlad, Conservative
    • Stuart Martin, UKIP
    • Debra Nicolson, Green
    • Ian Scott, Independent
    • Michael Stout, Independent
    • Peter Tait, Independent
    • Ryan Thomson, Independent
    • Tom Wills, SNP
    • Beatrice Wishart, Lib Dems

So called 'climate science' is no more a science as weather forecasting is a science. Its generally scientifically related, yes, but its an exercise in guesstimates at best, science by definition is to describe an outcome and how it is achieved, in such a way that others can replicate it again and again. By all means teach kids that based on current knowledge 'experts' estimate yadda, yadda, yadda is how the climate is changing and why, but FFS stop teaching them that its proven fact and a certainty, for its anything but, and that's how they're understanding it. Which in its own way is potentially as dangerous as just sitting back ignoring the situation and doing nothing.

I reckon it is a science, same as meteorology is a science. Dir's thousands of years worth o data fae ice cores and such alang we estimates on gas emissions ower da more recent history, and predictions based on dat ir proving to be true. Dat's da replication dare. I'm sure I dunna hae tae tell onybody dat.

I doot it's a fairly moot point among da vast majority o scientists dat da climate is changing and dat we're at least in part at da root o it. And fae my understanding, dat's whit is being taught in schools. Good on da politicians and bairns for takin it seriously.

I doot it's a fairly moot point among da vast majority o scientists dat da climate is changing and dat we're at least in part at da root o it. And fae my understanding, dat's whit is being taught in schools. Good on da politicians and bairns for takin it seriously.

Climate change was being taught as uncontroversial fact in my O Grade Chemistry class in 1988.

Considering the fact that most of Europe was engulfed under a blanket of smog many years ago,for weeks on end , what has the effect of removing this smog and allowing the sun to break through had on warming our climate .

We have to consider what has been removed as well as what we are putting into the atmosphere.

When all the chimneys in Europe were "reeking" the sky was so full of smoke and other pollutants  the sun never got through to warm us up. :ponders:

There is more to this climate change than the combustion engine. 

Edited by Urabug

The onset of the ice age was caused by climate change. When the ice age came to an end, that was another climate change. Pollution causes climate change as well, and will no doubt continue to do so until it is effectively dealt with. The Scottish Government are seen to do the best that they can to deal with these problems. However, I understand that they have so far made no effort whatsoever to alter the weather forecast.

Please read John Tulloch's letter in Shetnews.

(** mod edit - here's the link -> https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2019/08/26/election-letter-not-the-right-time-for-a-protest-vote/ **)

It outlines the SNP's desperation to win Shetland, (just look at the number of their top politicians and minions who have been flown in lately), and explains the reason for that desperation.

It is possible that we could in the future get autonomy and look after our own future, if the SNP get in that will be blocked.

This is simply because the SNP desperately needs Shetland's maritime resources for its independence dream to have any chance of being fulfilled.

We hold the cards here, keep them out, and leave the door open for Shetland to gain control over our resources, should we wish to.

John Tulloch makes the point that he has faced flak for not living in Shetland, but then neither does Tom Wills. John Tulloch however has been involved in Shetland politics for a long time.

I started, den gave up twaree sentences in. I hae nae interest in readin aboot folks personal gripes we each idder and bringin folks families intae da discussion. Poor craic. Dirs too much o dat kind o thing on Fissbook and da Shetland Times website.

Edited by Muckle Oxters

This is simply because the SNP desperately needs Shetland's maritime resources for its independence dream to have any chance of being fulfilled.

We hold the cards here, keep them out, and leave the door open for Shetland to gain control over our resources, should we wish to.

It would be interesting to see some proof to justify this statement.

It would be interesting to see some proof to justify this statement.

Draw a line across half way between the Fair Isle and North Ronaldsay to 200/medians and look at the sea area it contains. At a glance probably +/- 20% by area of Scotland's entire maritime resources, and includes the lion's share of the most prolific fishing grounds, oil, and probably aquaculture sites.

I'm not saying Scotland couldn't be a viable independent nation without us, I wouldn't know as I don't have the numbers to crunch, but losing our maritime resources from a nation of what, circa 5 Million souls, for no other gain than saving what us circa 23k souls costs them, cannot but rejig the numbers noticably.

Besides, London would never give us up should Scotland go indy, we're far too much of a strategic asset. We're the eyes and ears and a convenient stepping stone, staging post for the northern approaches. Look at the garrison they turned us and Orkney in to in WWII, and look at how quickly they re-surrected Saxa once they sensed the turn in the tide between us and the rest of the EU.

Old Britannia may well be a bit gone in the legs and looking her age, with her glory days definitely a long tie behind her, but she still like to keep as many little outposts around the world as she can. I'm not seeing her accepting she has nothing north of the Mersey or Tyne to tie up in without the mother of all fights. Us, and/or Orkney will stay with her to the last gasp from Whitehall.

Could be that the SNP badly need our "Energy" to back up what they probably don't have enough off in Scotland without it.

All those wind turbines and interconnector. cables might well be to the benefit of a few entrepreneurs but the power produced is required by us all even more now with electric cars top of the agenda.

SNP has as far as I am aware , not built any replacement power stations so far more reliant on renewal energy so Shetland will be very important to them for this alone.

Watch the price of electricity escalate in years to come as it replaces the demand for oil and the government of the day will claw back there share of it in taxes no doubt.

Would you believe it? The closure of the Sandwick nursery and the likely closure of one in Lerwick is not the fault of the extremely well thought out free nursery care provided by the SNP.

Tom Wills informs us it is all the fault of the local council, and the problems parents in Sandwick are now facing is down to the SIC.

I'm surprised he isn't blaming Westminster, that's the usual line whatever happens.

Always someone else.

Would you believe it? The closure of the Sandwick nursery and the likely closure of one in Lerwick is not the fault of the extremely well thought out free nursery care provided by the SNP.

Tom Wills informs us it is all the fault of the local council, and the problems parents in Sandwick are now facing is down to the SIC.

I'm surprised he isn't blaming Westminster, that's the usual line whatever happens.

Always someone else.

Austerity (that includes closure of nurseries )is caused by the councils lack of funding from central government ,so Mr Wills is talking out the seat of his pants.

Edited by Urabug