Winter weather

PJ of Hildisvik

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah indeed, but unfortunatly there are some poor buggers that will get to see them, the guys on standby boats and the like.

And as for the Hydro guys if I was wearing a hat I would be taking it off to them right now for their sterling work today getting our power back on in such horrible weather

Yeah indeed, but unfortunatly there are some poor buggers that will get to see them, the guys on standby boats and the like.

And as for the Hydro guys if I was wearing a hat I would be taking it off to them right now for their sterling work today getting our power back on in such horrible weather

Hear! Hear!

We had 2 cuts today, one of about an hour and one of about 5 1/2 hours - lots of board games by candlelight! We could see the boys working in a field above the house so presume either the line or a pole was down.

West of Shetland we had over 110Knot winds and 25m max wave height. God knows how the galley staff managed but we still got a cracking Xmas dinner.

One of the other rigs broke an anchor chain and has stability issues! which I guess put a damper on their Christmas day.

Always someone worse of than ourselves on Christmas Day be thankfull you have a house, presents, family and food....some have none of the above!

To the guyz offshore, stay safe and have a good knees up when you're back!

Yes, my full sympathies & blissins for aabody at Sea or Offshore.

my first xmas Offshore was the time we had the BBC Watchnight Service broadcast live from the Fulmar. It was a Force 14, and the FSU pulled up the SALM & drifted away in the early hours without anybody realising for a while!

We stood at the back door at 5.30am greeting, as we watched it being blown broadside, power & steeringless towards the Clyde. They were all in the boats ready to go... Luckily, she squeaked past.

It's not particularly fun {or safe} in the galley {or drill floor, or anywhere} on a semi-sub or ship in big sea, so hats off folks!

Our power went off yesterday at around noon and stayed off til around 2.30 today. Our christmas meal consisted of sausage sandwiches (no booze as we wanted to keep our heads clear in case the roof came off, as it was we had damage to the garage again plus garden gates, a window smashed and stone chips from the driveway were clattering off the windows all day & night. Christmas dinner is now cooking as I type this. I hope you were all safe from harm.

Mal

It's the calm before another storm tomorrow! (just to cheer everyone up)

this the sprouts coming back on everyone???

It was pretty windy but I think my area in Lerwick must have been reasonably sheltered! Only bad thing that happened to us was our gate came off a peerie bit! And really I was to blame for that because I left it open (woopsie)

The centre of the low pressure will pass near us, but the strongest winds will be over mainland Scotland this time.

Forecast of NW storm force 10 winds across Shetland Wednesday night/Thursday morning

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii294/Geotours/0100thursday.png